Cassette Baud...

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.

Cassette Baud...

Postby Rink » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am

Quick question, but I've had difficulty finding the information from Google: what's the (approximate is fine) baud rate of the Dragon 32's cassette interface?

Cheers.
Rink
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Re: Cassette Baud...

Postby Dragonizer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 am

According to Dragon User Magazine Issue September 1985, page 19 it's 1500 Baud.
Dragonizer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Cassette Baud...

Postby Rink » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Really? Seems slower than that to me. :)

Cheers mate. Much appreciated.
Rink
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Re: Cassette Baud...

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:15 pm

The symbol rate is variable, since it takes only half as long to transmit a "1" bit compared to a "0" bit. I wonder if the quoted baud rate accounts for this (perhaps being an average), or whether it even makes sense to have a single value rather than a range?
Sarah
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Cassette Baud...

Postby prime » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Sarah wrote:The symbol rate is variable, since it takes only half as long to transmit a "1" bit compared to a "0" bit. I wonder if the quoted baud rate accounts for this (perhaps being an average), or whether it even makes sense to have a single value rather than a range?


Really? I always thought it was 1 cycle of 1200 or 2 cycles of 2400 for each bit so that the bit time is the same.

Cheers.

Phill.
prime
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Cassette Baud...

Postby zephyr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:59 pm

This is fully explained on page 213 of Inside The Dragon.
zephyr
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Cassette Baud...

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 pm

prime wrote:
Sarah wrote:The symbol rate is variable, since it takes only half as long to transmit a "1" bit compared to a "0" bit. I wonder if the quoted baud rate accounts for this (perhaps being an average), or whether it even makes sense to have a single value rather than a range?


Really?


Yep!

Try filling a large area of memory with $FF and then an equal amount with $00; it's easy to hear that the $FF blocks are half the length of the $00 blocks!

zephyr wrote:This is fully explained on page 213 of Inside The Dragon.


Well spotted...

"the effective data transfer rate from Dragon to cassette recorder is 1800 bits/second as, on average, there will be an equal number of ones and zeros recorded for a program or data file"


Presumably Brian Cadge gives a lower approximate figure in his article to adjust for overheads.
Sarah
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:36 pm


Return to Dragon General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron