XRoar: Joystick emulation?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
snarkhunter

XRoar: Joystick emulation?

Post by snarkhunter »

Hello all,

Could anyone please explain how the keyboard-based joystick emulation is supposed to work within XRoar? I do have one drawing program that uses joystick control to move a "cursor" over the screen, but I've been unable to actually control motion so far. I could only reach a couple of screen positions in a most "jerky" way, which did not prove much helpful so far!

And before submitting this piece of code to you, it would be nice if I could make sure the program actually works as it was designed to...

Moreover, how does one get a screenshot from XRoar? I'm not sure how I managed this when I did some work for the Wiki, some time back. I might have been using a free PC screen dump program (such as "PrintScreen", from Gadwin Systems), but I'm afraid I just cannot remember any longer!

... I'm now thinking I might just have used the standard Windows "Paint" tool + "PrtScr" key in order to achieve this, so there would be no actual need for a "screenshot" functionality from within the emulator.
sixxie

Re: XRoar: Joystick emulation?

Post by sixxie »

The only current joystick emulation uses the cursor keys to simulate a "digital" joystick - your drawing program probably requires an analogue stick. I do keep meaning to add a mouse based screen position relative analogue joystick emulation, haven't quite got to it yet.

You should be able to use a real analogue PC joystick though, if you have one around.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

snarkhunter wrote:Moreover, how does one get a screenshot from XRoar? I'm not sure how I managed this when I did some work for the Wiki, some time back. I might have been using a free PC screen dump program (such as "PrintScreen", from Gadwin Systems), but I'm afraid I just cannot remember any longer!

... I'm now thinking I might just have used the standard Windows "Paint" tool + "PrtScr" key in order to achieve this, so there would be no actual need for a "screenshot" functionality from within the emulator.
In Windows Alt+PrintScreen will capture an image of whatever window is active and put it in the clipboard. After capturing an image just open your paint or image program of choice and use Ctrl+V to obtain the screen shot. You will have to crop the image to remove the XRoar surround, however to be consistent with the other screen shots on the wiki do not remove the screen border, this should leave you with a 640x480 pixel image. It also looks like png is the format of choice for screen images on the site.
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

Personally, I use IrfanView to capture screen shots. It is free, easy to use and quite powerful for screenshots. In particular when capturing game screens, it allows you to just capture a bunch of screenshots and store them in a folder.

-- Rolf