Manic Miner problem on XRoar

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
robcfg

Manic Miner problem on XRoar

Post by robcfg »

Hi Ciaran!

I was testing my dump of Manic Miner and it loads ok in XRoar but, when I press enter to play, it just shows random data on screen and hangs.

The dump works ok on a real Dragon. The same behaviour occurs with the dumps in the archive.

I'm using XRoar 0.27 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Funny enough, it works on the same version in my Linux Mint 12 under virtualbox... I don't remember whether it's 64 bit or not.
sixxie

Re: Manic Miner problem on XRoar

Post by sixxie »

Well that was an interesting one - I had to git bisect to discover that's down to what happens to the data bus when the CPU fetches from an address that no device handles. DarrenA pointed out that the bus tends to indicate the last thing that was on it (probably the fetch instruction itself), and that behaviour's been built into XRoar since 2010 (version 0.24-ish). Except it's always been a bit lacking - it wasn't updated during "dead" CPU cycles.

I've pushed some snapshot builds fixing this, but I'm going to have to trace through Manic Miner and find where it accesses empty memory (maybe it's trying to check for a cartridge present as part of its copy protection or something).
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

I just tried my own copy and the cracked version of Manic Miner from the archive and they both work fine. Tested on XROAR versions 0.24, 0.27, and 0.28 with the following command line under 32-bit Windows XP.

Code: Select all

xroar -vo sdl -machine dragon32 -extbas d32.rom -nodos -kbd-translate
I have attached both copies for test purposes.

EDIT: Attachment removed.
Last edited by zephyr on Sat May 12, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Oh I only just noticed the 32/64 bit implication...

I'm not even sure I have easy access to any machines with a 32-bit OS, but even so, that fix has nothing to do with word length. Very weird.

Tracing through, it runs this:

Code: Select all

3f7c| b6c001      LDA     $c001               cc=f0 a=01 b=00 dp=00 x=4c99 y=4937 u=19aa s=05f8
3f7f| b1c002      CMPA    $c002               cc=f9 a=01 b=00 dp=00 x=4c99 y=4937 u=19aa s=05f8
3f82| 10260001    LBNE    $3f87               cc=f9 a=01 b=00 dp=00 x=4c99 y=4937 u=19aa s=05f8
Where it proceeds to deliberately blat memory. Amusing! And indeed caused by my short-cut in the NVMA code: the NVMA after each instruction should put the same value on the data bus (from the top byte of ROM) in each case, and they'd compare. My short cut meant that the "bus" read $01 for the LDA and $02 for the CMPA.

Here's the discussion about what ends up on the data bus, with DarrenA pointing out what's going on here.

But what on earth in my code could produce a different result on a 32-bit machine? I'm a little confused by that.

Edit: Zephyr: looks like both your versions are cracked, they skip the code input stage entirely, which means they probably also omit that little bit of "protection" too.

Edit edit: also, actually I guess I will have a 32-bit OS - but it'll be Mac OS X on PowerPC, so may not prove anything.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

sixxie wrote:Edit: Zephyr: looks like both your versions are cracked, they skip the code input stage entirely, which means they probably also omit that little bit of "protection" too.
Yes, just checked and that test for the presence of a cartridge is bypassed in both versions. When Robcfg wrote "The same behaviour occurs with the dumps in the archive" I assumed he had tried them all. No problems running that code under Dragon 32 emulation under XROAR 0.24 and the latest 0.28 snapshot with 32-bit Windows XP.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

sixxie wrote:Where it proceeds to deliberately blat memory. Amusing!
Yep, such anti-social behaviour from a popular game was pretty silly and begging to be cracked! I hated ever having to remove ALLDREAM... :lol:
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Sarah wrote:Yep, such anti-social behaviour from a popular game was pretty silly and begging to be cracked! I hated ever having to remove ALLDREAM... :lol:
That's just begging for a blow by blow account ;)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hi guys!

I tried zephyr's version and runs dandy on my setup.

Also, here you have my dump, it works ok in a real dragon and loads in Xroar (on my machine) up to the point where it freezes.
Attachments
Manic Miner (1984)(Software Projects Ltd)[!].zip
(14.46 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

robcfg wrote:Also, here you have my dump, it works ok in a real dragon and loads in Xroar (on my machine) up to the point where it freezes.
It runs perfectly for me under the latest XROAR 0.28 snapshot (xroar-snap-20120509-w32). Try the attached version...

EDIT: Attachment removed.
Last edited by zephyr on Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

My version works with the latest XRoar snapshot, thank you!

And the last zephyr version works with my standard 0.27 setup... :?