EDTASM+ for the Dragon 32/64

Use this forum to submit new files for the download section of the archive. I will check each submission and upload it to the archive on a regular basis.
zephyr

EDTASM+ for the Dragon 32/64

Post by zephyr »

Attached below is Radio Shack's EDTASM+ which has been converted for use on the Dragon 32/64 by Stephen J. Woolham. A copy of the original EDTASM+ manual is included.

The most powerful assembler ever written for the CoCo 1/2 is now available for the Dragon. 8-)
Attachments
EDTASM-Dragon (Stephen J. Woolham).rar
(5.77 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
pser1

Re: EDTASM+ for the Dragon 32/64

Post by pser1 »

Thanks a lot to Stephen and to you for this great work.
Do you know if there is any chance to upgrade this converted EDTASM+ to 63x09?
I mean if the EDTASM6309 patch by Robert Gault could be of use in a Dragon machine (EDTASM++)
thanks in advance
pere
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

The 6309 patch is for the disk version of EDTASM+. I don't know if it would be compatible with this version. This is a question that only Robert may be able to answer.

Even if the patch is directly (or indirectly) compatible with this version, you would need to buy a copy of the patch from Robert, and patch it yourself. The patched 6309 compatible version of EDTASM+ can't legally be distributed.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

thanks for this advice,
I didn't know that this patch were still available from Robert.
I own the CoCo EDTASM+ cartridge, that I think is mandatory to legally apply the 6309 patch.
By now I am reading the manual and making the recommended practices to learn how to work with it.
It's very good, but working whith tape files is only acceptable in XRoar, in a real Dragon would be painful.
I think that there exists "Disk EDTASM" that should solve this drawback.
DskDream, by now, keeps being my preferred choice on a Dragon.
pere
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

pser1 wrote: I own the CoCo EDTASM+ cartridge, that I think is mandatory to legally apply the 6309 patch.
No. It has to be the original disk version.
Robert Gault wrote: REQUIREMENTS

YOU MUST ALREADY OWN TANDY'S DISK EDTASM TO MAKE USE OF THIS ENHANCED VERSION.
!!!!! PROGRAM WILL NOT WORK WITH ROMPAK VERSION !!!!!!

There is a PATCHER program on the product disk which will automatically convert your program for use. Selection of Coco 1&2 vrs. Coco3 version is automatic. Coco 1&2 versions do require 64K RAM, the Coco 3 version will work with 128K of RAM.
http://aaronwolfe.com/robert.gault/Coco ... sm6309.htm
pser1 wrote: It's very good, but working whith tape files is only acceptable in XRoar, in a real Dragon would be painful.
I don't mind waiting for the 30 seconds or less that it takes to load most source code from cassette. I dont even mind waiting for the 4 to 5 minutes that it takes to load some of the biggest games from cassette. :)
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

The attached zip archive contains a quick start guide for EDTASM+.
Attachments
Edtasm-Crash-Course.zip
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
pser1

Post by pser1 »

thanks zephyr, it is a very nice options recopilation. Very easy to have at hand to search special options for some commands.
I have the original documentation, the one with the assembler explanation and all of the mnemonics detailed (for CoCo)
I have used it for a while and it is really as easy as is Dream.
Cannot see any functional differences between them, I can enter and edit source files, assemble, save, load and debug, tracing with as much as 8 beakpoints in both cases.
pere
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

zephyr wrote:I don't mind waiting for the 30 seconds or less that it takes to load most source code from cassette. I dont even mind waiting for the 4 to 5 minutes that it takes to load some of the biggest games from cassette. :)
You're a masochist! When I wanted to play a quick game of something the ten minute loading time of Buzzard Bait due to that dongle always made me think twice about loading that game, so more often than not I would play something else. That dongle put me off copy protection for life: which I suppose is no bad thing :lol:.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Alastair wrote:When I wanted to play a quick game of something the ten minute loading time of Buzzard Bait due to that dongle always made me think twice about loading that game, so more often than not I would play something else. That dongle put me off copy protection for life: which I suppose is no bad thing :lol:.
Waiting 10+ minutes for the dongle protected Buzzard Bait to load (or not) was a pleasure! :lol:
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Even that 10 minutes (cassette loading time slowed down by the dongle) for Buzzard Bait is very fast compared to the loading times of most Commodore 64 games. I remember waiting for up to 30 minutes for some games to load on my friend's C64. :o