PSU Pictures

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
robcfg

PSU Pictures

Post by robcfg »

As it's an issue that comes back from time to time, I've created a page for uploading the PSU boards' pictures the same way we do with the motherboards.

You can find it here.

I've uploaded the one in my Dragon 64, which seems to be the same one in the Dragon 200E. Also a friend of mine has another issue 4 psu and we confirmed that all seem to have a broken track and a green cable.

Cheers!
Rob
Rink

Re: PSU Pictures

Post by Rink »

Cool. I'll take a picture of the one from my Dragon 200 (non-E) next time I'm around it with a screwdriver. If no one does it first.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Great, thanks!

If it's indeed an Issue 4 board like mine, please check that is has the broken track and wire on the solder side, just to be sure ;)

Cheers,
Rob
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I suppose I could post this as part of a wiki discussion, but why not post it here in a more public forum?

Anyway in a bid to reach consensus, I think of the power supply unit as the brick which plugs into the Dragon, and the board in the pictures on the wiki page as the power board. What do others think?
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

Just added Dragon 32 PSU-board issue 3.
jedie

Post by jedie »

btw. does someone known why one of the two transistors is not firmly screwed on?
... too many ideas and too little time ... Related stuff written in Python:
Dragon 32 emulator / PyDC - Python Dragon 32 converter: https://github.com/jedie/DragonPy
DWLOAD server / Dragon-Lib and other stuff: https://github.com/6809
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Alastair wrote:I suppose I could post this as part of a wiki discussion, but why not post it here in a more public forum?

Anyway in a bid to reach consensus, I think of the power supply unit as the brick which plugs into the Dragon, and the board in the pictures on the wiki page as the power board. What do others think?
I think you're right, but I chose that name as everyone seemed to be referring to it as the "PSU board".

So, I have no objection to the page rename.

Should we keep the current page for the Power bricks and create a new one for the Power boards and copy actual content to the new one?

@Rolo: Thanks mate!
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

Obviously there is no heat sink needed. It's the -5VDC-regulator, which does not have to deliver much current (just a few op-amps and the old 16kDRAMS). I 'd like to think the screw at the 12VDC-regulator is there only due to mechanical reasons, to firmly attach the heavy heat sink to the board on both sides. Probably there is not much 12 VDC power dissipation either. Screws and people who are mounting screws cost money. So nobody would put in more screws than absolutely needed. Pushing down production cost is not a new invention, it has been done for decades. :D
If you want to be sure, why don't you simply unmount the screw, bent the regulator away from the sink and check its maximum temperature with your fingers?

Btw. does anybody know former Dragon Data Ltd. people who can tell?
Yes I know, there are a few articles in the internet. I've already read most of them (I hope).
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

@ robcfg:
Is there much to say about the transformers ("power bricks")? Maybe we could just append those below the board section?
Btw. I really had to laugh, when I saw that transformer for the first time. Most of the computers had such a huge and heavy brick, but that one is so tiny, that you could think, it's made for an electric shaver :D. I really like that one very much: this is really "retro", isn't it?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Well, it seems that there are maybe 2 or 3 different transformer models, so yes, we could add some pictures along with the pinout.

Nothing quite special though ;)