Anyone able to identify this board?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Dragon6

Anyone able to identify this board?

Post by Dragon6 »

Just picked up a Dragon 32 on Ebay as it came with a Dragondata disk drive :)

As I have a Dragon 64 already which I've had since childhood, I was planning to refurb the 32 and sell it on to a new owner.

However on opening the lid I spotted what looks like a modification connected to the motherboard.

I'm not overly familiar with the layout of the 32 but having looked online for images to do a comparison I didn't see any that had this board plugged in.

Anyone able to identify what it is, is it a factory standard component on some builds or is is some kind of upgrade?
Attachments
The unidentified board
The unidentified board
image.jpg (187.39 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
KenH

Re: Anyone able to identify this board?

Post by KenH »

see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151
Dragon6

Post by Dragon6 »

Thanks for the link, interesting.

I'll have to compare the image quality from the monitor socket on this 32 with my 64 to see if there is any noticeable difference...
tormod

Post by tormod »

I would also be curious to know what quality improvement this board gives, and if it would be worthwhile to replicate it. Did anyone try an A/B comparison? The other thread doesn't really say anything about the improvement.
Dragon6

Post by Dragon6 »

Did anyone try an A/B comparison?
I'm planning to at the weekend, unless I get an hour to spare before then.

Will take a few shots and post them here, and let you decide which is which!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Dragon6 wrote:I'll have to compare the image quality from the monitor socket on this 32 with my 64 to see if there is any noticeable difference...
I don't have a 64, and I haven't seen one in the flesh (plastic?) for nigh-on thirty years, but isn't the 64 supposed to have a better quality display than the 32?
KenH

Post by KenH »

Apparently, the Dragon 64 has this logic already built-in.
prime wrote:It's just struck me whilst looking at the Dragon 64 circuit diagram, that the board was obviously an improvement as it's included in the Dragon 64 circuitry (IC14 & IC13A).

Just looking to maybe try and convert my Atom RGB board to work on the Dragon & CoCo, would not be a problem if the 6847 was socketed :(

Cheers.

Phill.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4510&p=9844&hilit=PN48200#p9865
Dragon6

Post by Dragon6 »

Apparently, the Dragon 64 has this logic already built-in.
I hadn't seen this when I did a few comparisons this morning between the 32 and 64, and I did notice a difference, but whether that could just be down to other factors such as component age etc, that could always be a possibility.

I know someone that has a 32, if I can get hold of that and confirm it doesn't have one of these enchanting boards fitted, that would then be a fair comparison.