RACE Electronics Peripherals

For the discussion of all hardware related topics.
tjewell

RACE Electronics Peripherals

Post by tjewell »

Hi all!

I'm sure many of us spotted an auction for some Dragon peripherals recently made by Race Electronics. I know Robcfg did because he's already grabbed the pictures and put them in the Wiki!

http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... lectronics

I was the lucky winner of the expansion cage, and I'm sure I'll be posting more about it when it arrives - I'd long lusted after a Tandy multi-pak, not knowing there was a homegrown solution for the Dragon, so very excited to see that.

So, does anyone know more about the peripherals? I got in touch with the seller, who said, of the cage - "I live not far from where RACE Electronics was based in south wales. Maybe I bought it directly from them or maybe I bought it from Cumana." If I remember rightly, didn't Race actually build some (all?) of the Dragons? Were these tools that were used internally, or were they for wider sale? I don't remember seeing any of them in the magazines at the time. The fact they weren't in the Wiki until last week makes me think they're quite unique.

Anyone flesh out any history for us here?

Thanks, Tony!
robcfg

Re: RACE Electronics Peripherals

Post by robcfg »

Congratulations!

These auctions went over the roof, so I grabbed the pictures before we lost them.

I did a bit of research and found that RACE Electronics did assemble the Dragon boards.

If you take a look at the board scans, you'll see the stickets with the RACE logo on them.

It would be nice that you could take proper pictures of the pcb.

Cheers,
Rob
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

I think I got the expansion cage for a pretty good price - same or less than Multi-Paks go for, on the rare occasion one appears on these shores. And I got something built for the Dragon too, which does make me smile. The seller was surprised the Eprom programmer went for so much - he thought the expansion cage would get the most interest.

I can't help but wonder if these devices were perhaps built for internal use at RACE? Given they built the Dragons, it would make sense they devices like expansion cages, eprom programmers and multi-rom cartridges hanging around. Apparently my case has the serial number '3' on it, so I don't think they built many. I've also been warned there's no manual, and the operation isn't exactly the same as the Tandy version (for example, no hardware switch) - so expect lots of confused posts from me shortly.

Once I've got it, I'll take lots of photos, definitely. I also spoke to the seller, he's happy with us using his pictures on the site, and he'll see if he's got more pictures as well.

Cheers, Tony
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I had my eye on the Delta system, meant to come back and bid, forgot as usual.

Anyone know how much that went for?
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

I think it was £50 for the controller cart.
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

I'm rather intrigued by this product - http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... ntal_Board - 'Archer' are one of Tandy's brands I think. Those blank cartridge boards look really useful for prototyping. Does anything like that exist nowadays?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

sorchard

Post by sorchard »

sixxie wrote:I had my eye on the Delta system
If you wanted a controller for study/test/curiosity then you're more than welcome to borrow one of mine indefinitely.

Haven't used them in a long time so not sure how well they work but I can at least plug one in to check the ROM is working.
Stew
linville

Post by linville »

Those Archer boards used to be sold in Radio Shack, back in the days of the CoCo. I doubt you would find one hanging around anywhere these days, of course. :-(

Rolo's Lab board looks cool -- are they for sale?
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

They are indeed - and a bargain too:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4860

He was trying to sell me the last two at a discount, but I think I only need one. Buy the other and he'll be a happy man I'm sure!