MXT I/O Controller

For the discussion of all hardware related topics.
centrespot

MXT I/O Controller

Post by centrespot »

Hi All
I have been sorting through my retro computer boxes and found a cartridge that doesn't have any markings or labels on, I suspected it was for a Dragon Computer so I plugged it in to one of my dragon 32's
It powered up and displays MXT I/O CONTROLLER
Does anyone have any knowledge of the cartridge or user manuals etc
Appreciate any help you can give.
Kind regards
robcfg

Re: MXT I/O Controller

Post by robcfg »

Would you mind uploading some pictures?

I’d appreciate pictures of the cartridge from both sides and the circuit board inside it (both sides too).

That way we can try to guess its function.
dublevay

Post by dublevay »

There's an advert for it in Dragon User, issue 11 - page 24.

Seems to be a real time controller for heating, model railways, all sorts of things. Several versions available, with progressively more relays.

Be extremely interested to see the board!
Screenshot_20221224_000501_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221224_000501_Chrome.jpg (850.62 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
centrespot

Post by centrespot »

Photos added but I cannot open the case, it seems to be glued together and I am scared of damaging the case by forcing it.
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 6766 times
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 6766 times
centrespot

Post by centrespot »

The Dragon User Magazine, page 12 April 1986 shows a bit about it along with a short program listing. I'm still hoping someone out there can shed more light on a user manual.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Thanks for the pictures!

I'm wondering if you can record the sound output of your Dragon on a PC. If that's the case, we could dump the rom without having to open the cartridge. I'll take care of extracting the rom data from your wav recording.
centrespot

Post by centrespot »

Robcfg
I think I have the necessary cables and a copy of Audacity on my PC, just need you to step me through the process because it's not something I've done before.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

centrespot wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:04 pm Robcfg
I think I have the necessary cables and a copy of Audacity on my PC, just need you to step me through the process because it's not something I've done before.
It should be similar to when I dumped the ROM from the DASM/DEMON cartridge - see Steve's (zepher) instructions at https://archive.worldofdragon.org/phpBB ... 285&p=1798 - though I don't know if Rob wants a CAS file created or is fine with just the wave file.
centrespot

Post by centrespot »

Alastair wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:46 pm
centrespot wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:04 pm Robcfg
It should be similar to when I dumped the ROM from the DASM/DEMON cartridge - see Steve's (zepher) instructions at https://archive.worldofdragon.org/phpBB ... 285&p=1798 - though I don't know if Rob wants a CAS file created or is fine with just the wave file.
Thanks Alastair, I will give that a go.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

That's excellent!

The process is really easy.

You just need to connect the audio cable for loading tapes on your Dragon, and connect the audio out jack to your PC's audio input, which is usually the light blue one.

Open Audacity, select the right input source and set the recording volume to something around 0.8.

On your Dragon type the following:

CSAVEM"MTXIO",&HC000,&HFFFF,&HC000 (Don't press Enter yet!)

Click the record button on Audacity and press Enter!

When the Dragon returns to the OK prompt, stop the recording and save as Wav (44100, 16 bit per sample is more than adequate).

Send me the file :mrgreen: