xroar-snap-2019-49969

Hardware Hacking, Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats
pser1

xroar-snap-2019-49969

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
I cannot understand what I am doing wrong, but none of these versions (32 and 64 bits)
starts on my computer with Windows 10.
AVG verifies the executables, says there is no problem, but the programs do not open any window ...
Should I do anything special?
Thanks in advance
pere
sixxie

Re: xroar-snap-2019-49969

Post by sixxie »

Interesting - worth doing some test runs, then...

Can you run with "-C" (to open a console) and paste what it says?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

IIRC, the main Windows-related thing that changed in that snapshot is rolling the Windows-specific code into the main SDL2 initialisation. It's possible I've missed something out or done something in the wrong order and it still happened to work in Wine...

I remember one other change: I redraw the main screen when the menus change now too.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
the Console window does not open.
I added a pause command in the .bat file so that it doesn't close automatically, but nothing happens.

The same .bat file used on the last XRoar version works well and opens the Console window too.

cheers
pere
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Pere,
I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of xroar-snap-2019-49969 on Win 10 and they both work. I did notice, however, that the personal firewall asked for permission for XRoar to access dwmapi.dll and WerFault.exe, perhaps your firewall is blocking this access (since I have never tried other versions of XRoar on Win 10 I do not know if accessing these files is new or not).

The other things you could try are double-clicking XRoar.exe directly instead of using a .bat file - if that works then we will have to find out what it is in the batch file that is causing the problem - or downloading XRoar again and unzipping the program again - perhaps something corrupted the file in either the download or during unzipping.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Alastair wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 am Pere,
I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of xroar-snap-2019-49969 on Win 10 and they both work. I did notice, however, that the personal firewall asked for permission for XRoar to access dwmapi.dll and WerFault.exe, perhaps your firewall is blocking this access (since I have never tried other versions of XRoar on Win 10 I do not know if accessing these files is new or not).
Thanks a lot for this info!
I have no problems with older versions
These two files exist in system32 folder. I have disabled the Windows Firewall and nothing changed that wrong behaviour.
The other things you could try are double-clicking XRoar.exe directly instead of using a .bat file - if that works then we will have to find out what it is in the batch file that is causing the problem - or downloading XRoar again and unzipping the program again - perhaps something corrupted the file in either the download or during unzipping.
I downloaded it again and same result. Even executing right the exe file doesn't start the default window
I tried to see if there was a record on the system/programs error log but I have not found anything ...
Will make some more tries along the weekend.
cheers
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Hope you find something - it's really odd that you see no output at all. There must be an error message somewhere!

FWIW I've just tested it on a Windows 10 laptop and yes, you have to click through an awful lot of nonsense, but it did then run (though appeared to start minimised, which was odd).
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
no matter what I do there is no way to get it opening a window. And it doesn't minimize it ...
It seems that this 'version' has been registered somewhere to be stopped, but I find no messages
in the system log. Even executing it as administrator fails too.

I hope that next snapshot, that will have a different binary signature, would not be rejected.
Anyway, I know that AVG antivirus has analyzed it and has said that it was ok.
Maybe a new re-compiled binary could result in a 'different' file length?
Right now I don't know where should I look inside the Windows system folders to find a trace
of the problem :-(
cheers
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Well it's certainly easy enough to just build it again! It'll get a new snapshot id built in, so the binary will change. See if 2019-51897 behaves any differently...
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
I have downloaded the last snapshot but unfortunately same behaviour, pity :-(
By the way, AVG keeps analyzing the file the first time I start it but doesn't find any problem!
Is there any place in windows system folders to look for error log files?
cheers
pere