xroar-snap-2019-49969

Hardware Hacking, Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats
sixxie

Re: xroar-snap-2019-49969

Post by sixxie »

XRoar doesn't itself write any logging anywhere other than stdout/stderr (edit: so you could run it from command line and redirect those to a file, I guess? though i think the whole need for a "console" window in the first place means that might not work)

Windows generally - well it's not something I really use, so I'm not sure. I do know there is a tool called "event viewer" somewhere that gives you a tree of stuff to browse around and sometimes that yields interesting associated events, even if the messages attached to them don't seem very descriptive.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello Ciaran,
this is a Murphy's bad luck case ...
I will try on my wife's laptop to see what happens there. Both have the same AVG version ...
I had given a peek at the windows event viewer, but didn't see anything related to xroar unfortunately.
thanks for your help!
cheers
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

I have been making some more tests ...
If I use any older snapshot, for instance XRoar v0.35.x snap 2019-31064, it works flawlessly
As soon as I copy any of the two last snaps, it gets blocked!
Are there new 'dependencies', I mean some that were not 'needed' in past versions?
AVG keeps saying the files are OK and so not stopped by the antivirus ...
Hope to try it tomorrow on another laptop ... will tell you how it goes
cheers
pere
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Pere,

Can you try a program called Dependency Walker? It should tell you which are the dependencies and if one of them is not satisfied.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

robcfg wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:34 pm Pere,
Can you try a program called Dependency Walker? It should tell you which are the dependencies and if one of them is not satisfied.
Hi,
I have downloaded depends.exe but it seesm to be usefull for a lot of windows versions up to Win7-Win8, not for Win10
Anyway I have excuted it on the new failing snapshot and on the old working one.
These are the results. Almost same errors :-(
pere
Result for working old snapshot.jpg
Result for working old snapshot.jpg (295.16 KiB) Viewed 13714 times
Result for Last Snapshot.jpg
Result for Last Snapshot.jpg (295.29 KiB) Viewed 13714 times
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Searching the web I have found, recommended by MSN this url:
https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies
And using this program on the new failing snapshot shows no problems :-(
cheers
pere
NewDependencyAnalyser.jpg
NewDependencyAnalyser.jpg (331.93 KiB) Viewed 13712 times
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Pere,
have you tried checking the AVG log files? It could be that it is preventing the latest XRoar from making certain system calls or is placing XRoar in a sandbox. If so then there should be a way to make AVG ignore XRoar, but not having AVG I can't help much on that matter.

If all else fails you can always take your computer off the internet, disable AVG, and try running the latest XRoar again. If XRoar works this time then we will know that it is an AVG setting that is causing the problem, if XRoar still fails then AVG is innocent and we must look elsewhere.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Alastair wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:38 pm Pere, have you tried checking the AVG log files? It could be that it is preventing the latest XRoar from making certain system calls or is placing XRoar in a sandbox. If so then there should be a way to make AVG ignore XRoar, but not having AVG I can't help much on that matter.
Yes, I have not found anything related to the xroar.exe been blocked. The AVG quarantine (sandbox) is empty.
I have tested in my wife's laptop that has the very same Windows10 and AVG antivirus, and there I have got the very same behaviour.
The old version starts with no problems, the last snapshots get blocked somehow.
If all else fails you can always take your computer off the internet, disable AVG, and try running the latest XRoar again. If XRoar works this time then we will know that it is an AVG setting that is causing the problem, if XRoar still fails then AVG is innocent and we must look elsewhere.
I have disabled the network adapters, so no internet connexion available. Then I have disabled the AVG shields, both for files and for behaviour
and it keeps been blocked. And I cannot find any Windows logfile with info about that action :-(
I will stick to the old version that works flawlessly in both machines and hopefully next snapshot with actual code changes will create a
file that won't be rejected ...
Thanks for you help!
cheers
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
a great step forward ...
I have created a new folder with the xroar.exe but *NOT* with the xroar.conf ... and it works!!
So there is something inside my xroar.conf that is accepted by prior versions but not by the last ones.
I will keep making more tests tomorrow.
cheers
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

well, it has been easier than I expected.
The config file offending line contains this text:

ui windows32

Looking at the XRoar manual I can find there this
-ui windows32

But this fails too when added to the config file. But it didn't create any problem with older versions ...
cheers
pere