Horror Castle (1983)(A&F)

Hardware Hacking, Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats
pser1

Horror Castle (1983)(A&F)

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
I have downladed this game and despite the txt file that is in the same directory tells that the original comand is
CLOADM:EXEC, it rises an FM ERROR?
In fact, it loads correctly with CLOAD but then the asm code that is supossed to be in the very first line gets tokenized.
Game starts normally but you have lost the 'help'
In case you'd like to see the Instructions you'll just get a checkered screen with no text at all ....
Has anyone got it working correctly?
I would appreciate any hint ...
thanks in advance
pere
pser1

Re: Horror Castle (1983)(A&F)

Post by pser1 »

The very first basic line (that is commented with a REM), contains a lot of tokens that are in fact some
assembly sentences to change some Basic system variables to tell the interpreter where the actual basic begins.
The problem is that there should be about 4 pages 32x16 chars, so some 2048 bytes before the Basic begins
and these data has been lost when someone copied the basic to tape (cas file)
The question now is ...
Has anyone among us an original tape for this game?
In case it exists, is there any chance to dump it as a PC file?
I know that it should be in fact a binary file that would require CLOADM instead of just CLOAD
this means that most probably it will load a block of data to the low RAM in order to execute the code that
cheats the basic variables and runs the game. Last asm line is JMP $85A5 entering the command RUN
thanks for any info/file to complete that game
pere
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I can't help with an upload, and I cannot find images of any of the releases I mention here, but this game was later released by Quickbeam with the title of Terror Castle, under which title it was later released by Computape. Should either of these versions turn up then it may be possible to use it to fix the current A&F cassette image. (Terror Castle was also released by Orange Software on disc.)
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Alastair wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:14 pm I can't help with an upload, and I cannot find images of any of the releases I mention here, but this game was later released by Quickbeam with the title of Terror Castle, under which title it was later released by Computape. Should either of these versions turn up then it may be possible to use it to fix the current A&F cassette image. (Terror Castle was also released by Orange Software on disc.)
Very good news Alastair,
fortunately I have a copy of the game "Terror Castle" in disk version and it contains a lot of files. I will try to use them to
complete the game by A&F
For maybe it could be worth for anyone, I am attaching here the VDK file
cheers!
pere
Terror Castle (198x)(PSE)[!].zip
(21.16 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
it works well right now, just using one of the files that came with Terror Castle
I am going to add it to the Uploads Section ...
cheers
pere
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Excellent! I was unaware of the PSE version.

Now I'm just a little confused about the relationship between PSE and Pulser Software.