Cartridge question

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Vato

Cartridge question

Post by Vato »

I just opened a old Dragon Data game cartridge, and observed two socketed "chips" as well as one smaller soldered chip.
One of the socketed chips have a "bump" in the middle, with a white sticker on it, and is marked 2532-55JL B 8301. I guess this is the EPROM, and the sticker is there to prevent the data being erased by light?

The other socketed chip is marked 25P32JL R TI 8301, and the soldered chip says SN74LS00N I8246.
Does any one know what function these two last chips have?

Vato
Tom
sixxie

Re: Cartridge question

Post by sixxie »

Sounds like two ROMs and a bit of address decode logic (7400 is NAND gates) so only one is selected at a time. Presumably was cheaper that way than to have one larger ROM.
Vato

Post by Vato »

What puzzles me is that only the first of the two socketed chips have the "erase window". Maybe they used a mixed of EPROMS and non erasable roms?
Tom
prime

Post by prime »

Vato wrote:What puzzles me is that only the first of the two socketed chips have the "erase window". Maybe they used a mixed of EPROMS and non erasable roms?
I have seen some EPROMS used in Dragon carts where instead of the sticker, the window was painted black. The other posibility is that the second chip is the one time programable version of the 2532.

Cheers.

Phill.
Vato

Post by Vato »

prime wrote:I have seen some EPROMS used in Dragon carts where instead of the sticker, the window was painted black. The other posibility is that the second chip is the one time programable version of the 2532.

Cheers.

Phill.
Thanks Phill,
I guess that's what's called a PROM then?

I have attached a picture of the cartridge.

Vato
Attachments
Dragon Data game cartridge
Dragon Data game cartridge
ND3_6452.jpg (113.37 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
Tom