Turns out Flash is really slow

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Re: Turns out Flash is really slow

Post by sixxie »

It's near full speed on a reasonably fangled core-2-duo mac thing (with the frameskip). But you're right, this isn't really working out...

Oh well, it's been fun to hack on. Time to re-learn Java.

Flash doesn't really make it easy on itself - it forces all graphics to be 32-bit-per-pixel (ARGB), generated sound is locked to 44.1kHz stereo, and you have to feed it floats. All manipulated from a bytecode interpreter: it's like it wants to be slow!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I've been unable to test the latest version as it keeps killing my browser (i.e., it stops responding) :(
zaf

Post by zaf »

sixxie wrote:It's near full speed on a reasonably fangled core-2-duo mac thing (with the frameskip). But you're right, this isn't really working out...

Oh well, it's been fun to hack on. Time to re-learn Java.

Flash doesn't really make it easy on itself - it forces all graphics to be 32-bit-per-pixel (ARGB), generated sound is locked to 44.1kHz stereo, and you have to feed it floats. All manipulated from a bytecode interpreter: it's like it wants to be slow!
Can I tempt you with the idea of doing a version without relying on any browser plugins? With the latest browsers having fast javascript engines and supporting HTML 5 you may be surprised at what you can do. I think pure browser versions of ZX Spectrum and the NES are in the wild.

Cheers.
zaf

Post by zaf »

Forgot to say, good job on the flash version :)
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

zaf wrote: Can I tempt you with the idea of doing a version without relying on any browser plugins? With the latest browsers having fast javascript engines and supporting HTML 5 you may be surprised at what you can do. I think pure browser versions of ZX Spectrum and the NES are in the wild.
Well, haXe can target javascript too so it wouldn't even involve another complete rewrite - yeah, I'll give it a go some day :)