SuperDOS Bugs?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
zephyr

SuperDOS Bugs?

Post by zephyr »

Code: Select all

SuperDos E4/5/6:
	Much improved DragonDOS 1.0 by Mike Kerry of Grosvenor Software
	Features:
		Paged directory, fixes all known 1.0 bugs
	Bugs:
		Corrupts mem/files/hangs on FWRITE time out on open files
		RENAME allows creation of zero length filenames when used to
                copy across disks
		WP error can occur 3 or 4 times in succession.
		ERROR GOTO not always cancelled on return to BASIC
		LOAD'd files remain open
		EOF errors occurs whilst FLREADing from large fragmented files
http://www.grempc.demon.co.uk/dragon/

Apart from DragonDOS 1.0, all DOS versions seem to leave LOADed files open unless you use the 'CLOSE' command, or return to the BASIC command prompt. According to the information file at Graham E. Kinns web site, this is listed as a SuperDOS bug. Is this really a bug, or is it correct behaviour?
Last edited by zephyr on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: SuperDOS Bugs?

Post by admin »

I think this refers to using the LOAD command to load a BASIC or M/CODE program into memory, the file is never closed once loaded rather than using file handling to open and close data files.
Simon Hardy
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

So, you are of the opinion that this is NOT really a SuperDOS bug , but is in fact correct behavior for LOADed files?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would expect that and LOAD'd files would be closed once loading has completed, so it could either be a bug or a design choice. It would be useful if we could re-create the scenario that makes this behavoir a problem - I have seen this when it leaves the drive motor spinning after loading - but its not consistent.
Simon Hardy
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

I agree with your way of thinking, but would be interested to see if anyone knows for sure.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Feel free to contribute stuff to the main site.....if you haven't seen it now, its all wiki based and uses your forum logon details to grant you editor access...
Simon Hardy
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thank you! :)
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Well if that happens, it''s definitely a bug - odd though, don't remember ever being hit by it (grew up with SuperDOS E6 myself). A bug because the programmer wouldn't have access to a file number to CLOSE it manually (or indeed reuse in any way).