To exchange a Dragon 64 for a Spectrum game...

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
admin
Site Admin

To exchange a Dragon 64 for a Spectrum game...

Post by admin »

Hi,

Some years ago, one friend of mine gave a couple of Dragon 64.

One was new, with both polys, and from Eurohard ( with serial number... 3 ! ).

The other one was new too, but not in so good shape as the above one; with one poly, and from Dragon Ltd. .

I've been alwasy a Sinclair ZX Spectrum guy, and never have known anything about the Dragon, beyond the name of the trademark.

Somedays ago I was looking for a "rare" Spectrum game called "Shadow of the Unicorn".... at Ebay UK these past years prices for this game have oscillated from 10 british pounds to 65 pounds, and currently I had only found one unit of this game at an UK online shop asking for it 60 pounds plus shipping to Spain, which is unpayable for me now.

A spanish collector has contacted me and offered the game for one of his wanted items: he has sent me a list of them, and the only one I had was the Dragon 64.

I have thought I could exchange the "least well shaped" of my Dragon 64.

But as I don't really know almost anything about the Dragon world, nor the "real" value of a Dragon 64, I would like to ask if you think this exchange is a fair and an equitative one, or not.
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Re: To exchange a Dragon 64 for a Spectrum game...

Post by admin »

Hello,

I'd tend to believe the actual value of any rare item is the price someone will be willing to pay in order to get it. See what happens on eBay sometimes : plain craziness !

Depending on how hard you do want this game, you may consider the trade a fair one, though. But perhaps you could also ask for an "extra" in this case...
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the other collector is happy with the Dragon Data Ltd one, then I am happy to offer to buy the Eurohard one from you and pay postage to the UK. The Dragon Archive does not have an example of the Eurohard Dragon 64.

I would say that the Dragon Data Ltd Dragon 64 is a fair enough swap - these are hard to find, but not that hard. The Eurohard one however is potentially more valuable.

I am the administrator of this site and can be contacted as simonhardy72@yahoo.co.uk.
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First of all, thank you for your commentaries and help: they're are truly appreciated.

I really would prefer to buy for a reasonable price the wanted game, than to exchange it for any of my "old computers" collection.

One reason for evaluating if doing this or not is because the only one "Shadow" for buying that I have found, is the one from the online shop, and as I have said 60 pounds plus shipping... is expensive for me right now.

Other reason is because I have two Dragon, so obviously I would keep the better one ( the Eurohard one in this case ).

I am doubting even for the exchange, as even being two Dragon 64, they are from two different manufacturers.

And of course, I was ( and am ) doubting too because I don't know the "real value" of the Dragon 64 from Dragon Ltd., so I didn't know if I would make a "stupid thing" ( I mean, imagine the "UK" Dragon 64 is sooo hard to find again, and when it does it does to a very highly price, while the "Shadow" game reallly is not that rare or that expensive... really, at Ebay when a "Shadow" game it's been seen, the middle price should arrive between 25-35 pounds.... sometimes less, and once it even arrive to 65 pounds ).

In any case, I wouldn't like to sell any of my material, and only a situation like this ( an exchange between collectors ) is the one I would like to evaluate.

I would appreciate further comments and thoughts about this, as I am really not sure if proceed or not...

Anyway, Simon, I've taken pictures of both Dragon, and have already sent them to you, at least for the case you find them useful for archival purposes ( the Eurohard one specially ).

EDIT ( 16 of March 2009 ): Finally, the "Shadow of the Unicorn" game was not even complete ( it had not the book nor the map ), so I have decided so far to keep the Dragon 64.

Anyway, Simon, did you receive the sent pictures ?
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes - Thanks for the pictures.... can I use them on the site?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Yes - Thanks for the pictures.... can I use them on the site?
Of course !

I would feel more than honoured if you decide to use them on the site.

Glad if they are useful !!!

:) :) :)

P.S.: I only would ask to mention the pictures are from me, so If I post any of the on the Internet, nobody can think I've "stolen" them from this site.
Simon Hardy