Emulation advice needed

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
retrofreak90

Emulation advice needed

Post by retrofreak90 »

Hi guys. As the topic says, I#m having trouble getting some game cas files to work.

I use Xroar and on some games, "Cuthbert Goes Digging" etc. - I get a DN error, on others ("Cuthbert on the Jungle" for example) I get an IO Error. I've tried different cas files, including tosec. Can anhyone help me?
Alastair

Re: Emulation advice needed

Post by Alastair »

With "Cuthbert Goes Digging" you must first disable Dragon DOS (in XRoar that's Ctrl+E then Ctrl+Shift+R) before loading the game. With "Cuthbert in the Jungle" I have been unable to resolve the problem, though it loads in XRoar 0.12 pre2, perhaps the tape image was created with an old version of DC.exe and needs patching.
retrofreak90

Post by retrofreak90 »

Thanks for the reply. I got the game to load following your instructions but the game froze a few seconds in. And MESS won't run Time Bandit. Seems Dragon emulation still has a way to go development-wise.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

If you would like to play these games, try the attached versions. Some are unofficial 'hacked' versions (no auto-run), but they should all work fine under the latest version of XROAR.

BTW, If you use Steve Woolham's 'enhanced Dragon 32 rom v2.0' from the archive, there's no need to use the "Ctrl+E then Ctrl+Shift+R" sequence under XROAR before loading games, because you are given with the option to bypass DOS at first boot. After decompressing the ZIP archive, you will find a copy of 'd32.rom' in the MESS directory (folder) that is compatible with both XROAR and MESS.

Regards,
Steve
Attachments
dgngames1.zip
(28.85 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

The WAV version of Cuthbert in the Jungle from this site seems to load fine. I'm guessing the CAS one needs attention. The way to check, of course, is to convert the CAS to a WAV and play it out to a real Dragon and see what happens.

Also, if you start XRoar with "-run filename" where filename is determined to be a cassette file, DOS will be disabled on startup. Beyond that though, it's not the job of the emulator to "know" when you're loading something that is incompatible with DOS!

Interesting about MESS failing with Time Bandit - does it fail to load completely, or show the opening screen and then not proceed? The latter was also an early problem with XRoar, fixed by improving the PIA emulation...

I'm not having the same problem as you with Cuthbert Goes Digging: just played through a full level of the copy I have here:

http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/cuthbert_goes_digging.cas
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

sixxie wrote:I'm not having the same problem as [retrofreak90] with Cuthbert Goes Digging: just played through a full level of the copy I have here: [snipped]
Sixxie, that file is identical to the archive's copy, so I don't know why retrofreak90 is having problems, though there do seem to be some speed up/slow down problems with XRoar.
sixxie wrote:The WAV version of Cuthbert in the Jungle from this site seems to load fine. I'm guessing the CAS one needs attention. The way to check, of course, is to convert the CAS to a WAV and play it out to a real Dragon and see what happens.
I've made a new CAS version of Cuthbert in the Jungle using the above wave file, it loads in XRoar 0.23 pre1, though I have done minimal testing.
Attachments
Cuthbert_in_the_Jungle.zip
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 197 times