MAME Emulation

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
pser1

Re: MAME Emulation

Post by pser1 »

just to verify everything is ok, I converted a binary file to a cas file and loaded it
into MAME Dragon64-PSG. It works flawlessly.
That's really great!
Good job!
cheers
pere
Pernod70

Post by Pernod70 »

pser1 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:12 pm If it is mandatory to use tape files, I would rather prefer to wait for the MultiPack to be implemented
so that we could have at the same time the FDC and the PSG as on my actual setup ...
I'll try to get the MultiPak in for the next release. The reason it's not currently available to Dragon machines is that the current implementation automatically inserts a CoCo FDC cartridge into the MultiPak, which doesn't work with a Dragon. It also needs to know whether it's being connected to a CoCo or Dragon to determine which cartridges are made available to insert, ie. CoCo should include various CoCo FDC carts and if Dragon then include various Dragon FDC carts, etc. So it's not just a simple case of making it available to the Dragon.
pser1 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:40 pm just to verify everything is ok, I converted a binary file to a cas file and loaded it
into MAME Dragon64-PSG. It works flawlessly.
That's really great!
Good job!
That's good to know :D
pser1

Post by pser1 »

@Pernod70
I am not in a hurry!
I can wait as much as needed.
I know that there is a chance you will be adding support for the the V9958 on the Dragons (using the Wordpak2+ module)
Once we have the MPI, we could install the FDC, WP2+ and PSG to get a powerful Dragon-MSX2+ computer.
cheers
pere
Pernod70

Post by Pernod70 »

pser1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 pm I know that there is a chance you will be adding support for the the V9958 on the Dragons (using the Wordpak2+ module)
Once we have the MPI, we could install the FDC, WP2+ and PSG to get a powerful Dragon-MSX2+ computer.
The Wordpak2+ is already in my development build, but not quite ready for release.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Pernod70 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 pm
pser1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 pm I know that there is a chance you will be adding support for the the V9958 on the Dragons (using the Wordpak2+ module)
The Wordpak2+ is already in my development build, but not quite ready for release.
No problem at all. This will enhance a lot the Dragon capabilities on MAME which in fact means that we could
debug on MAME the programs if they do not work as expected, so this is great news for all of us!
We will wait till you release those new module emulations!
cheers
pere
bluearcus

Re: MAME Emulation - 80 track double sided

Post by bluearcus »

Compiled mame 0220 the other week. Still appears to be a problem with Soren's OS9 double sided disk booting, which works fine on a real machine, on Xroar, on multiple drive emulation mass storage solutions.

Something is definitely wrong with Mame's floppy subsystem for Dragon 32/64 machines.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
not sure if this thread is the correct place, but I would like to tell you that I have found an issue when playing games that I do convert
for the V9958 using MAME emulating a CoCo2.
John's module allows us the switch from the std video output (MC6847) to the new V9958 just issuing a POKE
The address is $ff5e for setups with a multiplack (MPI) or $ff7e for setups with the oojamaflip instead
Well, this poke works perfectly when emulating a Dragon, but acts exactly inversely when emulating a CoCo.
So I would like to let know that point to the people in charge of that emulation in MAME so that they could unify the behaviours.
If you need me to do any test at any time, count on me! I will do it with pleasure
Thanks beforehand and my excuses if this is not the correct place to talk about that!
cheers!
pere
Pernod70

Post by Pernod70 »

pser1 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:07 am John's module allows us the switch from the std video output (MC6847) to the new V9958 just issuing a POKE
The address is $ff5e for setups with a multiplack (MPI) or $ff7e for setups with the oojamaflip instead
Well, this poke works perfectly when emulating a Dragon, but acts exactly inversely when emulating a CoCo.
Yep, known issue, the screens are indexed by the order they are created. The coco driver creates the V9958 before the MC6847 screen which is the reverse of how the dragon driver creates them, so the effect of the POKE is also reversed.

This was recently discussed on the CoCo Discord and has been fixed. It will be in the 0.240 release which I expect to be appear within 24 hours!
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Oh my, that was fast!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

@Pernod70
thanks a lot!
cheers!
pere