Dragon Composer - Missing file?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
robcfg

Dragon Composer - Missing file?

Post by robcfg »

Hi everybody!

I bought a big pack of Dragon tapes, and Dragon Composer was included. I dumped the tape and I found that according to the manual, there should be a program on the tape called "JUKEBOX", but it's missing from the tape.

I checked the Dragon Composer .cas file from the archive and it's missing from there too. Is this file really missing from the original tape?
zephyr

Re: Dragon Composer - Missing file?

Post by zephyr »

I have attached a copy of the original Jukebox (CLOAD/RUN) and Paul Burgin's Jukebox 2 (CLOADM/EXEC).
Attachments
Jukebox2.zip
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
JUKEBOX.zip
(5.39 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Thanks a bunch!

Where does the Jukebox program comes from? It's not on the original tape, at least the Microdeal version...
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

It did come with my Microdeal copy of The Dragon Composer, although I can't remember whether it was on the same side, the 'B Side' to the main program, or a separate tape. Still have it somewhere, so I might be able to find it when I get home, if necessary...

PS. There's another variant here by the way:
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archiv ... eal%29.zip
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

robcfg wrote:Thanks a bunch!

Where does the Jukebox program comes from? It's not on the original tape, at least the Microdeal version...
Its normally on both sides of the tape after Composer (Composer, Jukebox, M/C demo tunes). Did you try CLOADM "JUKEBOX" ?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Yep, I tried it and I also tried Hex-editing my cas file and the archive's cas file and there is simple no jukebox string in the files.

The two programs on the tape are COMPOSER and PLAYWAVC. I can run composer in the emulator but hangs when run on a real Dragon 64. And I don't know what to do with Playwavc because it does nothing when run...

I'll try to do a more extensive check of the tape content, but seems ok to me, thus the confusion with the jukebox.

[Edit] Is there any alternative to dc.exe? I cannot run it under Win7 and installing DosBox for it seems a bit overkill. I also I'm coding a utility for the tapes but it's not ready yet.

[Edit 2] In case anyone is interested, I can send the wav files for further analysis.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Did it come complete with with the original manual?

http://www.dragonwiki.com/wiki/images/M ... manual.pdf

robcfg wrote: [Edit] Is there any alternative to dc.exe? I cannot run it under Win7 and installing DosBox for it seems a bit overkill. I also I'm coding a utility for the tapes but it's not ready yet.
There is a Windows (.NET) version here...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=537
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Did it come complete with with the original manual?
Yes, mine is exactly like the one you linked.
There is a Windows (.NET) version here...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=537
Nice! I'll take a look at it tonight.

Thank you!
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

After trying Composer, which do you think is better; Composer or Music Maker?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Well, I simply don't understand how Music Maker works and at least I can do through the menus of composer.

Not that I am a musician myself...

By the way, can anyone please try the attached composer file? It loads flawlessly on XRoar, but on a real Dragon64, it just don't load the menu part. I've tried converting the cas file to wav with Sarah's program and with DC.exe, with both programs together and separated with no success.

Any help is appreciated!
Attachments
Composer_ROB.cas
(18.37 KiB) Downloaded 175 times