Project 2

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Bosco

Project 2

Post by Bosco »

Hi.

Inspired by recent homebrew activity over on the CoCo, I've decided to share a back-burner Dragon/CoCo project of mine.

http://bit.ly/21KqEeY

It's more of an exercise in learning to code but could turn out to be a fun little game too?

Up until now the focus has been on creating routines to handle various core tasks so it doesn't yet have the structure or variety of a proper game. I'm in the midst of implementing quite a few changes and enhancements which means the current build is a little broken. Instead I've posted a link to an older build which will give you an impression of things to come. :)

Should you be interested, the control keys are;

< = move left
> = move right
z = start/jump/pickup/throw (applies to traps dropped by the bird)

Cheers.
simon

Re: Project 2

Post by simon »

bosco m8 !

brilliant just brilliant !!!

shout if you need anything

/Simon :-)
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Thanks Simon.

Cool interview btw. :D
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Bosco, you've gone through the roof with this one!

The graphics are absolutely lovely, the music is nice (also, music!), and the gameplay is super fun but a bit too difficult.

When it's finished os going to be awesome, keep up the good work!

As Simon said, give us a shout if we can help you ;)
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Thanks Rob.

The musical score sadly is placeholder, (it originates from an old Pokemon game). I borrowed it to test my multi-channel music routine.

Glad you like the graphics. They're a homage to a certain early games console, only my mascot character is a pirate called `Cervantes', (tribute to all you Spanish Dragon users). :D

In the demo, everything is `turned on' so to speak so I can observe various routines working, or not. The final game will be a little more considered. :)
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Oh that is awesome, you really do know how to get the best out of that low resolution. I love the music too. Quite inspiring, I have a few old game ideas I really must revisit.

Can't wait to see the next version!
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hah!

Managed to get to stage 2, but collecting 5 diamonds is tougher than stage 1, hehehehe :mrgreen:

Edit: By the way, what's the project's name? I've never been too proficient in japanese...
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

After a little more `structural' work I hope to start piecing together a proper game with proper levels rather than what you see here. Expect some changes, for the better. :)

I wondered who'd be first to ask about the Japanese title? :D

When I first started kicking around ideas I thought, what if there was a Japanese `Dragon' that was dropped just before launch? And what if thirty years later an unreleased launch title was found on an old hard drive, what might that have looked like? Crazy I know, but I think it gives the game an imaginative angle.

The title says `Kongu no Shima' or Kong's Island. This is a working title only.. I don't want to be sued! I have other titles in mind which are suitably quirky along with a back story etc.
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

Excellent work Bosco! That really is exceptionally good, and in many ways too. You just don't expect to see stuff like this on the Dragon. I could go on about it, but I think it speaks for itself pretty well! I would love to see some more.
Stew
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Thanks Stew.

Can I just say that, without Stew's coding pointers when I started working on this game, I would not have got this far.

I'm eternally grateful. :D