A DOSPlus Extender for Drivewire & CoCo-SDC

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
YuT666

Re: A DOSPlus Extender for Drivewire & CoCo-SDC

Post by YuT666 »

Well, the guy who sold me the CoCoSDC said, that this one is configured for the use with a Dragon. And the settings look false ... so i can't trust the seller i think ...
DSCN3414.JPG
DSCN3414.JPG (110.35 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
I've nearly 10 "normal" SD/SDHC cards here and none of them fits into the slot ... they are too thick. Only MMC cards.

SD card = 24 mm × 32 mm × 2.1 mm
MMC card = 24 mm x 32 mm x 1.4 mm

--- and the CoCoSDC only takes MMC cards.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

OK,
that seems ok if the DP50 sits on bank number 5 (4+1), I will assume that's right
Here is the CoCo-SDC manual, you will read the kind of accepted cards ...

I understand you didn't buy it from Ed Snider, in this case, maybe the seller
could help telling us how he used the SDC board with his Dragon

I use a Kingston microSD adapter on the Dragon 64 for a 8GB microSDHC card
On my CoCo3, I have a SONY 2Gb SD, both work flawlessly

pere
CoCo SDC user manual (rev A) (Darren Atkinson).zip
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 482 times
Last edited by pser1 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

A good source for info about CoCo-SDC is
http://cocosdc.blogspot.com.es/
pere
YuT666

Post by YuT666 »

Something must be wrong. I've an ordinary CoCoSDC and not only one normal sd card fits into the slot. Only the thin MMC SD fits and does "click". What da hell? Crap ...

There's a normal "SD Card Module" on this CoCoSDC ... i'm really confused. The seller bought this one from Ed.

And yeah, but the source is only a help for the CoCoSDC with Tandy usage. I've already read this blog, but the Tandy & Dragon commands are all different.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Last edited by YuT666 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

YuT666 wrote:Something must be wrong. I've an ordinary CoCoSDC and not only one normal sd card fits into the slot. Only the thin MMC SD fits and make "click". What da hell? Crap ...
There's a normal "SD Card Module" on this CoCoSDC ... i'm really confused. The seller bought this one from Ed.
It is very strange as Ed *only* uses SD cards. Maybe the slot is not in order, could there be something inside?
Or maybe it simply has failed and needs repair, but for sure it works with SDs
If the seller doesn't help in that card problem, maybe you could ask Ed Snider to know if he has had other issues like that one
And yeah, but the source is only a help for the CoCoSDC with Tandy usage. I've already read this blog, but the Tandy & Dragon commands are all different.
I know, anyway there are some hints that are of use for both machines
pere
YuT666

Post by YuT666 »

Well, thanks. It works. But it's tricky like hell to update the SDC. I thought, there's only one step (instead of the 1000 shown steps), so i leave it with 0.25.02. I was right ... Tandy & Dragon are NOT my cup of tea ... :roll: ... will still stick around with my Acorn/BBC/Thomson.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi,
for the users that get here reading the thread, I would just let you know that today I have posted
a new update for DosPlus5.0 Extender
You will find info in this thread on this web
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5657

cheers
pere
MaestroSoftware

Post by MaestroSoftware »

Pere, you wondered if you are the only Dragon user with physical floppies, a CocoSDC and a MultiPak.

Maybe you are but I will receive my CocoSDC soon and I do have a Race-electronics kind of Multipak for the Dragon ( http://worldofdragon.org/index.php?titl ... nsion_Cage ). When I get my CocoSDC, I'll certainly try and setup/patch/recompile your Dosplus Extender to handle my CocoSDC/floppy configuration.

I haven't looked deeply at the code yet, but the Race Expansion Cage is less subtle than the Multipak. Whereas the MPI does have a hardware switch, can select different slots for CTS and SCS, and allows for PEEKing the current slot, the Race Expansion only accepts

Code: Select all

POKE &HFEFF,x 
with x being the selected slot.

Well, I'll give it a try... and I might be the only Dragon user with physical floppies, a CocoSDC, and a Race Expansion Board.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

MaestroSoftware wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 am Pere, you wondered if you are the only Dragon user with physical floppies, a CocoSDC and a MultiPak.
Maybe you are but I will receive my CocoSDC soon and I do have a Race-electronics kind of Multipak for the Dragon ( http://worldofdragon.org/index.php?titl ... nsion_Cage ). When I get my CocoSDC, I'll certainly try and setup/patch/recompile your Dosplus Extender to handle my CocoSDC/floppy configuration.
I haven't looked deeply at the code yet, but the Race Expansion Cage is less subtle than the Multipak. Whereas the MPI does have a hardware switch, can select different slots for CTS and SCS, and allows for PEEKing the current slot, the Race Expansion only accepts

Code: Select all

POKE &HFEFF,x 
with x being the selected slot.
Well, I'll give it a try... and I might be the only Dragon user with physical floppies, a CocoSDC, and a Race Expansion Board.
Hi, that is going to be a very interesting setup!
If you'd run into trouble, just let us know what the problems are and we will try to be of help!
I must admit that I do not use my drives since a lot of time. It is very nice to see them working but the CoCo-SDC performs most of the
tasks much, much faster. And we can even stream data from it using tfm opcode (6309) that makes things go even faster
good luck!
pere
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

MaestroSoftware wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 am Pere, you wondered if you are the only Dragon user with physical floppies, a CocoSDC and a MultiPak.
<snip>
Ha, I don't what to be 'that guy', but I have both systems set up here :) I just like having an original floppy drive hooked up. I'm letting you know if you ever need someone to test stuff on - always happy to help! Sometimes it's really useful to see if problems occur on someone else's system too ...

Cheers, Tony