VDK format

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
admin
Site Admin

Re: VDK format

Post by admin »

I managed to format a 5.25" disk using Simon Owen's driver. That seems to work pretty well.

I have a doubt on what the size of the gap between sector should be. I left the size that can be found on Simon Owen's diskutil example.

Vcopy doesn't recognize the disk as valid, I guess I shall write the information sector. The format of the information sector is pretty well documented ( Thanks sixxie ;) ).

Simon, can you send me the vcopy source code? It might be handy to check wether the info I write to the disk is accurate. Is there any chance you have the source code for DSKInit too?
Simon Hardy
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

If you're playing around writing out disk images anyway, can you try one out for me and see how far a BOOT gets on real hardware?

http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/testme.dsk if you have a moment. This isn't a VDK, but a standard 40 track single-sided image with no header information, so should be fairly easily dd-able.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sixxie wrote:If you're playing around writing out disk images anyway, can you try one out for me and see how far a BOOT gets on real hardware?

http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/testme.dsk if you have a moment. This isn't a VDK, but a standard 40 track single-sided image with no header information, so should be fairly easily dd-able.
I'll try to test it, but it will take some time because I have to go to a friend's house to test it. My Dragon is in my parent's house in other city.

As soon as I'm able to test it I'll tell you the result.
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Attached is the source to VCOPY and your in luck, it includes the code for the INIT routine. I don't have any current contact details for Stuart to ask his permission to pass this on - so please ensure he is credited somewhere in any subsequent work.
Attachments
vcopy.zip
(58.63 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you very much, Simon!

And have no worry, everyone who should be credited for their work will appear, most probably in the 'About' screen.
Simon Hardy
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

robcfg wrote:I'll try to test it, but it will take some time because I have to go to a friend's house to test it. My Dragon is in my parent's house in other city.
Ah don't worry about it, I'll hopefully get a drive hooked up to my PC soon and can try it myself. Just looked like it might have been convenient :)