Prism 1000 modem and serial cart

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
wgoodf

Prism 1000 modem and serial cart

Post by wgoodf »

Howdy!
I just bought this -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dragon-32-64- ... true&rt=nc
- It is a Prism 1000 modem and it comes with a cart which has a serial plug on the end to connect to the modem.Software is on ROM in the cart.

However i am getting nowhere with it - the menus don't have any options for dialling, parity, baud rates, stop bits or any of the usual things. If you click the link and look at the screen shots, you can see what i mean.

Dropping into terminal mode gives me a nice white screen with no dialog or statements.
If i connect everything up, then the noise from the phone - "please hang up and try again" - causes rubbish to appear on the screen - so as far as i can tell, the hardware is working. However the actual meat of using the modem seems to be hidden, and obviously by now you will have figured that i don't have a manual - there must be key combos somewhere for the cart.
Anyone used this - have a manual, or even used a modem/serial cart that could be similar in key combo function.
I was quite looking forward to hopping on a few BBS's with my Dragon 32.

Anyone?
robcfg

Re: Prism 1000 modem and serial cart

Post by robcfg »

Well... Without the manual, we can't do nothing unless we can read the rom chip and examine the code.

Is anyone near you able to read the rom chip? In case not, and you don't mind sending it to Spain, I could dump the chip for you, and also do the scans of the device, cartridge and their boards for the archive.
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

Well that's an option, thanks.
I suppose we can wait to see if something turns up now the question is out.
Thanks
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Can you enter Hayes codes on the "Set Protocol" (or other) screen?
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

Nope. The protocol screen is simply viewdata or ASCII followed by paged of scrolled for the screen.
I have tried comIng out of the program to basic and trying a few AT type commands, but no joy.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

This is the closest I've come to finding a manual on-line. Perhaps you could contact the site's owner about scanning the rest of the manual?
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

Aye, I found that. Why not. Help a retro buddie out, and all that.
I will let you know how that goes.
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

Of course, it's not the modem, but the Dragon cart....
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

wgoodf wrote:Of course, it's not the modem, but the Dragon cart....
True, but it is possible that the manual contains a Dragon cart section, without asking it will be difficult to find out.

As to obtaining an image of the ROM, so long as you can access BASIC with the cart inserted you can dump the contents of the cart to tape with the following command:

CSAVEM"PCART",&HC000,&HFEFF,&H8B8D

(or if you prefer: CSAVEM"PCART",49152,65279,35725 )

If you can do that and then create a .CAS file, someone on this board should be able to use that file to make a ROM image.
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

Nice!