Comparison of Dragon Assemblers?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
devo

Re: Comparison of Dragon Assemblers?

Post by devo »

by tormod » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:08 pm
Dragon Forth by B.Watson. From Your Computer July 1984. Comes in two files FORTH (program) and FWORDS (base word definitions).
It seems that I made an autorun loader, so both files are M/L. The copyright notice on the loader splash screen clearly only covers the loader itself ;)
Attachments
Just saw this, will try it, thanks.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Alastair wrote:Were any articles published that compared the various Dragon assembler packages? And if so, where were they published?
There's a nice review of ALLDREAM on page 22 of Dragon User 9/1985.
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archiv ... r_0985.pdf
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

KenH wrote:There's a nice review of ALLDREAM on page 22 of Dragon User 9/1985.
Thanks Ken, that review contains the half-remembered (by me) line, "The assembler supports all the instructions and addressing modes of the 6809 (certain other popular assemblers do not!)." I could not recall to which assembler this statement referred and unfortunately it does not name the assemblers that do not support all the 6809 instructions and addressing modes [1], but it is this line that made me wonder if a group review or comparison of Dragon assemblers existed.

[1] Compusense's adverts for DASM state, "All the 6809 mnemonics and addressing modes are supported..." so that eliminates one possibility.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

devo wrote:I cannot get the N.D.U.G. Forth .vdk version to load at all - presumably needs some sort of Dos loaded first.
Hello,

... What do you mean here?!
If you are going to use a '.vdk' file, then it is a disk image and you thus need DOS loaded first if you really intend to use it!
I myself spent a little time on a Forth disk package. I would have to check, but I suppose it was the N.D.U.G. version that I had purchased a copy of, along with the French translation of the famous book by Leo Brodie.
devo

Post by devo »

Hi

At the risk of going off-topic I created a new Forth on Dragon post in Hints and Tips at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4449.