HDB-DOS for Dragon 32 and 64/Tano

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
retrocanada76

Re: HDB-DOS for Dragon 32 and 64/Tano

Post by retrocanada76 »

I compared your files and I found several differences from my version.

It should be built as:

make hdblbadgn.rom

which gives:

lwasm -r --pragma=condundefzero,nodollarlocal,noindex0tonone -DIDE -DUSELBA -DLevel=1 -DDRAGON ../cocoroms/ecb_equates.asm ../cocoroms/dragon_equivs.asm hdbdos.asm -ohdblbadgn.rom

Here it is:
Attachments
hdblbadgn.rom
HDBLBA for Tano/Dragon64
(8 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Last edited by retrocanada76 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retrocanada76

Post by retrocanada76 »

Dumb question, did you set the DIP switches before inserting on Dragon ?

For bank 0 the dip switch must be: 1: UP 2: DOWN 3: DOWN

If so, then what is your SuperIDE base address ? Did you change it ?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/C ... Manual.pdf

Page 11.
tormod

Post by tormod »

Yeah, I would suspect that the adapter address is the problem. KenH's ROM is from a clean build of latest revision 552, without any parameter changes. I believe Luis' ROM is from revision 551 which explains most of the differences in the binary (both should work equivally well), additionally he has changed the adapter address from default $FF70 to $FF50 and an HDB-DOS disk offset of $052ddc. Curiously the manual (from 2004!) says the default on the SuperIDE is $FF50 but the HDB-DOS source uses $FF70 as default...

Since Luis's ROM does not work on KenH's hardware you guys might have different DIP settings.

But this does not explain why KenH's DriveWire-enabled HDB-DOS does not run on his Tano. Do you guys have the same BASIC ROM in your Tano? Is the Tano ROM usually identical to the Dragon 64 ROM?
retrocanada76

Post by retrocanada76 »

Hmmm, Try renaming the AUTOEXEC.BAS which is in Coco tokenized format just to make sure that is not and invalid basic program that is crasing.

Also, remove the CF and boot without it to see what happens.
KenH

Post by KenH »

OK, I've made some limited progress with the Dragon Tano.

It appears that there is some conflict with Dragon HDB_DOS running with a HD63C09 CPU.
I've installed back a 6809 on my Tano and now I don't get the garbled screen anymore!

However, I still get with the DragonTano the same results as on the Dragon32:
HDBDOS DriveWire boots OK
HDBDOS SuperIDE seems stuck after displaying the message "HDB-DOS 1.4 LBA ON DRAGON".
then after a few minutes the following message appears: LBA HARD DRIVE NOT FOUND.

I've renamed autoexec.bat - doesn't help
Tried booting without a CF card or with my backup CF card - same results.

I've verified that my SuperIDE's internal jumpers are set at the default configuration of $FF50.

My SuperIDE works fine on the CoCo3, so I don't think this is a hardware issue with the SuperIDE itself.

I've run out of ideas for now, any suggestion are welcome.
Ken

UPDATE: SUCCESS! :D
I've used retrocanada's image from the 3rd post above, instead of the clean build of revision 552 and I can confirm it's working :!: (with a 6809, not 6309)

thanks for all your help Luis and Tormod.

Tormod - Luis' settings of adapter address $FF50 and HDB-DOS disk offset of $052ddc are the default values for the SuperIDE as shipped from Cloud9. I suggest having these values set for the default clean build.
Last edited by KenH on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrocanada76

Post by retrocanada76 »

Enjoy!

I already converted 30 dragon vdk floppies to rs-dos I am making a new Dragon distro with all dragon goodies: moon cresta, chucki egg and more. + nitros and an inedit OS-9 version 2.00 (the phoenix!) for compatibility with InterBank, Mickey, Donald, etc.

But I need to wait my new cf card reader to came because mine one blew ! :( Bought on ebay some time ago must be coming soon.
tormod

Post by tormod »

KenH wrote:It appears that there is some conflict with Dragon HDB_DOS running with a HD6309 CPU.
I've installed back a 6809 on my Tano and now I don't get the garbled screen anymore!
Interesting. It seems to work with 6309 on Tano in xroar (no garbled screen, just hanging at the prompt since no adapter is there). Again, is the Tano ROM identical to Dragon 64? At least xroar accepted the Dragon 64 ROMs when I used "-machine tano".
Tormod - Luis' settings of adapter address $FF50 and HDB-DOS disk offset of $052ddc are the default values for the SuperIDE as shipped from Cloud9. I suggest having these values set for the default clean build.
The IDE support is not limited to SuperIDE. Maybe the default values makes sense for other IDE hardware, I don't know. A possibility would be a -DSUPERIDE to get everything right for SuperIDE. Since the Cloud9 guys "own" HDB-DOS and know all about the supported devices I would leave it to them to define the default. Can you please file a ticket on the Toolshed project about it and we'll see?
retrocanada76

Post by retrocanada76 »

Since HDB-DOS came from RGB-DOS it inherited it's base address $FF70. Also not sure about TC^3 base address.

The Tano ROMs are here:

http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archiv ... 20IC17.zip
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archiv ... 20IC18.zip

I might give a try next week since I have two spare HD63B09 at home.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

tormod wrote: Again, is the Tano ROM identical to Dragon 64?
Most Dragon 64 ROMs are identical to the Tano. The early Dragon 64 (32K mode) ROMs have 0x3634 '64' at $FFF0:FFF1.
tormod

Post by tormod »

retrocanada76 wrote:The Tano ROMs are here:
Thanks. I did not see them in the archive at first because their filenames was different than for the other ROMs, so they end up far down the page. Note that 17 and 18 are swapped as compared to the D64. If this is an error maybe someone can fix up the filenames too?

Consistent to what zephyr said, the Tano and Dragon64 ROMs in the archive are identical except from the $FFF0 vector.