XRoar on Android

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
zephyr

Re: XRoar on Android

Post by zephyr »

tormod wrote:I tried on my mobile phone now, when choosing Open As -> File I was able to choose XRoar (for a .cas file). What kind of file are you trying to open?
A .bas file. My idea was to write BASIC programs and asm code on my Android device using a text editor and load them as .bas files under XROAR emulation. I assumed that all XROAR file types would be accepted. :(

Cas, wav, and rom files all load OK using ES File Explorer. Any chance you can include all XROAR file types if you decide to update the Android port to the latest version?

Is it possible to write to a .cas file (save BASIC or ML program) using the current Android version?

I think the Android port of this fantastic Dragon/CoCo emulator deserves to be developed to the point where it becomes at least as usable as the Commodore 64 and Spectrum emulators that are available on Google Play Store. 8-)
tormod

Post by tormod »

zephyr wrote:
tormod wrote:I tried on my mobile phone now, when choosing Open As -> File I was able to choose XRoar (for a .cas file). What kind of file are you trying to open?
A .bas file. My idea was to write BASIC programs and asm code on my Android device using a text editor and load them as .bas files under XROAR emulation. I assumed that all XROAR file types would be accepted. :(
I didn't even know about XRoar reading ascii .BAS files. I haven't done much BASIC since the 80's, actually writing AUTOLOAD.DWL files for DWLOAD was the first since then :) The .BAS files should be easy to add though.
Cas, wav, and rom files all load OK using ES File Explorer. Any chance you can include all XROAR file types if you decide to update the Android port to the latest version?
Are there other file types?
Is it possible to write to a .cas file (save BASIC or ML program) using the current Android version?
Hmm, no I don't think that is supported.
I think the Android port of this fantastic Dragon/CoCo emulator deserves to be developed to the point where it becomes at least as usable as the Commodore 64 and Spectrum emulators that are available on Google Play Store. 8-)
It is a long time since I used this, so it takes some time for me to even get into building it all again. It should be well documented though :p

sixxie has shown reluctant to merging my Android patches, although they are non-invasive and rather clean. I think this has to change before I spend more time on this, otherwise it just more work every time there is an update.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

tormod wrote:
zephyr wrote:Cas, wav, and rom files all load OK using ES File Explorer. Any chance you can include all XROAR file types if you decide to update the Android port to the latest version?
Are there other file types?
You should read the manual! From chapter 3 of the manual XRoar supports:
.cas
.wav
.bas
.asc
.dmk
.jvc
.os9
.dsk
.vdk
.rom
.ccc
.sna
.bin
.hex
.rom
.dgn
tormod

Post by tormod »

Wow, that was a lot of file extensions. OK, if sixxie integrates the Android patches and releases a 0.33 I will make new build, after New Year's :)

For now, I think it will accept all files of MIME type */text, so if you can convince your Android that the .bas files are that, they would load as well.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

tormod wrote:Wow, that was a lot of file extensions. OK, if sixxie integrates the Android patches and releases a 0.33 I will make new build, after New Year's :)
Thanks! 8-) Can you also please fix the sound stutter and keyboard input (noted by geirhovland) problems.

@Ciaran (Sixxie)
Would you be willing to add Tormod's Android patches to XROAR?
tormod

Post by tormod »

I have given the 0.33-dev a try but it crashes on my phone. I will look into debugging more later.
tormod

Post by tormod »

This was a nightmare but finally I got there. Even if I have kept the Android build environment and the test tablet untouched without updates, I was not able to rebuild the old version. There have been some updates on the build machine for sure but the Android build tools are pretty much self-contained AFAICS. Had to add some new tweaks, like injecting -marm flags to avoid some gnu functions referenced that don't exist on Android. And that was after a long story of going back and finally building up things from scratch without that helping. Modern computing, blah :p

Here is a fresh snapshot of the 0.33 development. Thanks to Ciaran for integrating the Android patches. We still haven't sorted out how to reference the location for the configuration and ROM files (and what would really be the best location?), so that works as before, reading from the apps current directory. Using "logcat -d | grep curdir" on the Android device will tell if there is any doubt.

This version should be willing to open files of all the different filename extensions mentioned in the documentation.

The missing keys when typing mentioned by Geir I believe is a bug on the Dragon perfectly reproduced by XRoar.

After downloading the file, remove the .zip extension in the filename (just rename it) before copying it to your Android device.
Attachments
xroar-0.33alpha-0.apk.zip
XRoar dev snapshot for Android (ARM)
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

tormod wrote: Here is a fresh snapshot of the 0.33 development.
Thanks! :)
tormod wrote: The missing keys when typing mentioned by Geir I believe is a bug on the Dragon perfectly reproduced by XRoar.
No. This is something else.
Fastload

Post by Fastload »

Hi all,

I have been trying this emulator on my Nvidia Shield TV and managed to make it work.

I wanted to use the xroar.conf file to fiddle some settings and as soon as I have one present, the emulator wont start correctly, just flashing at the screen.

I did a logcat while tyring and got a buch of these:

03-28 17:59:32.075 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window
03-28 17:59:32.090 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window
03-28 17:59:32.101 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window
03-28 17:59:32.116 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window
03-28 17:59:32.125 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window
03-28 17:59:32.135 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window
03-28 17:59:32.148 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window
03-28 17:59:32.166 25019 25037 E libSDL : ERROR: Invalid window

Any clue ?

Regards

Eric
tormod

Post by tormod »

XRoar directly on a television, that's cool :) Welcome to the forums, Eric!

No, I have no idea about this issue. So the mere presence of this file (i.e. an empty one) causes this?

Tormod