No sound from hardware Dragon 32

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
samplefiend

No sound from hardware Dragon 32

Post by samplefiend »

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and bought myself a Dragon 32 last week to relive my childhood gaming memories.

I have a quick question for the experts out there. I cannot get any sound to come from the TV when the Dragon is connected to it. I can get a picture fine but absolutely no audio ...

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks

Craig xxx
Alastair

Re: No sound from hardware Dragon 32

Post by Alastair »

It would help to know how your Dragon and TV are connected, is it via the TV or monitor socket on your Dragon?
samplefiend

Post by samplefiend »

hi mate,

i've tried connecting the dragon to my tv using the normal output and the monitor output. no sound at all through the aerial wire and some sound through the monitor output but it's so quiet that i need to turn the TV up to 80 / 100 volume level to hear anything ....

craig xxx
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

samplefiend wrote:[...] it's so quiet that i need to turn the TV up to 80 / 100 volume level to hear anything ....
Seems like a hardware problem with your Dragon, although have you tried it with other TVs? If it is a hardware problem then I will have to hand it over to the hardware experts for the fix.
samplefiend

Post by samplefiend »

i've tried the dragon on 3 different TVs now all with the same result - the volume needs to be set at pretty much full to get a decent level for the Dragon 32

craig xxx
Rinconete

Post by Rinconete »

Sound and composite video signals are mixed in the UHF modulator (UM 1287, PSU board, schematic SA21204.ZIP), so the problem may be here or in the IC that generates the sound signal, IC20 (4529, schematic OKI322.ZIP).

Have a look at the schematics here:

http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archiv ... chematics/

There is also a sound signal output in the monitor socket (pin #1) which comes from the input of the UHF modulator. I would suggest checking this output in the first place.
samplefiend

Post by samplefiend »

thanks for the advice rinconete

i've download the files you mentioned but if the problem is something to do with getting in amongst schematics then i'm afraid i'm going to be out of my depth! i managed to solder together a monitor to tv cable but that's the extent of my technical abilities.

i managed to get a partial refund because of the sound problem for the guy i bought the Dragon from on Ebay so that takes the sting out of buying a faulty unit i guess. :-)

hope you're well and that you had a nice weekend.

thanks again

craig xxx