XRoar 1.4 released

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Re: XRoar 1.4 released

Post by sixxie »

pser1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:55 pm The ony difference with respect to old versions is that
using coco3 instead coco3p to have NTSC, the window size changes and shows almost squared
Could this be modified with some parameters?
Yes, this is new, it better reflects the shape of the image seen on actual NTSC displays - they have fewer scanlines spanning the same vertical area, so everything looks scaled vertically. We're used to pretty much square pixels, but they never had that.

You can use the -no-vo-scale-60hz option to disable it.

The window will be larger because CoCo 3 video modes can be larger so it allows more space to see borders by default (a larger "picture area"). That _should_ be fixable by specifying a geometry (eg -g 640x480) but there still seems to be a bug meaning it autoresizes that for coco3; I'll look into that.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

sixxie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:31 am Yes, this is new, it better reflects the shape of the image seen on actual NTSC displays - they have fewer scanlines spanning the same vertical area, so everything looks scaled vertically. We're used to pretty much square pixels, but they never had that.
You can use the -no-vo-scale-60hz option to disable it.
The window will be larger because CoCo 3 video modes can be larger so it allows more space to see borders by default (a larger "picture area"). That _should_ be fixable by specifying a geometry (eg -g 640x480) but there still seems to be a bug meaning it autoresizes that for coco3; I'll look into that.
ok, that works well for me.
Thanks a lot!
cheers!
pere
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I'm wondering if I could ask for a screenshot button, as it would make my life easier.

Cheers,
Rob
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

robcfg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:30 pm I'm wondering if I could ask for a screenshot button, as it would make my life easier.
Yeah ok. PNGs only though. Control+Shift+S or the File menu.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I'm trying to compile latest source on MacOS Monterey and I get the following error:

Code: Select all

gtk2/vo_gtkgl.c:30:10: fatal error: 'gdk/gdkx.h' file not found
I have installed the following GTK-related packages using brew:
gtk+
gtk+3
gtk-mac-integration
gtkglext
gtksourceview4
atk

Is there any chance I can compile it with GTK to benefit of the full UI?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

robcfg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:23 pm I'm trying to compile latest source on MacOS Monterey and I get the following error:

Code: Select all

gtk2/vo_gtkgl.c:30:10: fatal error: 'gdk/gdkx.h' file not found
I have installed the following GTK-related packages using brew:
gtk+
gtk+3
gtk-mac-integration
gtkglext
gtksourceview4
atk

Is there any chance I can compile it with GTK to benefit of the full UI?
It only uses GTK+ 2 I'm afraid - when I looked at GTK+ 3 some while ago, there were definite issues with knowing what symbol was on which key (for translated mode), and whenever I've looked at GTK 4 I see they've changed so much fundamental stuff that I reel in horror.

If any Mac OS X+ programmers now how to run dialog boxes programatically (so not requiring external support files, and not requiring me to run specific design tools on a Mac), could you clue me in? :)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I think no one (sane) I know voluntarily uses XCode or Apple design tools... :lol:

You know I use FLTK for my programs and that works everywhere so you wouldn't need to care about different apis for different platforms.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

robcfg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:52 pm I think no one (sane) I know voluntarily uses XCode or Apple design tools... :lol:

You know I use FLTK for my programs and that works everywhere so you wouldn't need to care about different apis for different platforms.
I've wondered about FLTK and GLFW in the past... I think the C++osity of FLTK is probably what prevented me looking too closely.

Edit: someone's already done the work of wrapping it all in C bindings though, might give this a shot: https://github.com/MoAlyousef/cfltk

More edit: Looks like those bindings above need FLTK-1.4, but this one seems to work against the version available in Debian with minor fettling: https://github.com/deech/fltkc
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I'll just add as an early note for FLTK that it's not shown itself favourably even just compling one of the demo programs. On my high-dpi display, it's scaled the fonts to be massive, overflowing the button outlines ;)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

It does work well on all my programs and I have also a high dpi display :D