XRoar video debug builds

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

XRoar video debug builds

Post by sixxie »

I'm working on a "better" composite video rendering system for XRoar. In the process of doing this, I've made the chain of filters and various other options configurable. Figured people might want to check it out...

git clone -b cvbs http://www.6809.org.uk/git/xroar.git

So I'd already mentioned that in other places, but I've just added a dialog box to the Windows build too, so more people can play:

http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/xroar/

(snap-1.3.1772)

Still some work to be done, but it's fun to see the shimmer :) Select View -> TV Options

(And sorry MacOSX+ users, no idea how to do the dialog boxes for you, and the test cycle is way more irritating because I don't have something similar to Wine to run it under...)
Alastair

Re: XRoar video debug builds

Post by Alastair »

The TV options are fun, you can get some truly atrocious screens! But in all seriousness, a colour control would be nice. Whenever I was facing a long session using the text screen I always turned the TV's colour down to b/w - far more restful for the eyes.
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

Brilliant stuff! It recreates the purple shimmer on the PMODE4 display beautifully :) To complete the Dragon video experience we would need a small and very slow drift on the colour frequency to simulate the machine warming up!

@Alistair
Chroma highpass can be set to zero or 0.25 to simulate the effect of turning the colour control down.
Stew
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

sorchard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:34 pm Brilliant stuff! It recreates the purple shimmer on the PMODE4 display beautifully :) To complete the Dragon video experience we would need a small and very slow drift on the colour frequency to simulate the machine warming up!
Hah! Sadly the frequency ratio is realised over an integer number of pixels with various tables precalculated for speed.

Maybe when this becomes shader code ;)

..ciaran
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Alastair wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:55 pm The TV options are fun, you can get some truly atrocious screens! But in all seriousness, a colour control would be nice. Whenever I was facing a long session using the text screen I always turned the TV's colour down to b/w - far more restful for the eyes.
Your wish...
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

sixxie wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:08 am Your wish...
Thanks. I'll have a play tomorrow.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Right, I've played around and found a few issues with both the 32 and 64 bit Windows versions.

The MC-10 has a pink screen when both Composite Rendering > Simulated and TV Input > Composite (blue-red) or Composite (red-blue) is selected.

Both CoCo 3 NTSC and PAL screens have the vertical pixels doubled which also means that the bottom half of the screen is missing. This occurs for all View settings.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Alastair wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:12 pm The MC-10 has a pink screen when both Composite Rendering > Simulated and TV Input > Composite (blue-red) or Composite (red-blue) is selected.

Both CoCo 3 NTSC and PAL screens have the vertical pixels doubled which also means that the bottom half of the screen is missing. This occurs for all View settings.
Oh yes, ok fixed those. Hadn't tested MC10 yet and the CoCo 3 thing was a duff git merge ;)

To be expected from an experimental branch ;) This is mostly me trying out the different display options... except I seem to have got diverted with Windows dialog boxes. The latest snapshot has a partially-working tape control dialog :)

(Aside: how on earth did win32 get so popular? It's ridiculously manual in everything it does - I've had to write my own layout engine just to make editing the dialog layouts easiers)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

A quick test shows that the MC-10 and CoCo 3 issues appear fixed.
sixxie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:52 pm (Aside: how on earth did win32 get so popular? It's ridiculously manual in everything it does - I've had to write my own layout engine just to make editing the dialog layouts easiers)
That's Microsoft for you, the giddy heights of providing BASIC for the Dragon is long past :) , now it gets by on "just about good enough".

I don't know if you intend for the TV Controls drop boxes to contain scroll bars or not, but currently they have none and I have to use the up/down cursor control keys to access all of the options.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Alastair wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:48 pm I don't know if you intend for the TV Controls drop boxes to contain scroll bars or not, but currently they have none and I have to use the up/down cursor control keys to access all of the options.
Hah, hadn't even occurred to me as a problem - I scrollwheel through the options :)