XRoar video debug builds

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Re: XRoar video debug builds

Post by sixxie »

Edging slowly closer...
pal-dragon64.jpg
pal-dragon64.jpg (861.09 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
pal-xroar.jpg
pal-xroar.jpg (872.96 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Pretty close!
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Yeah clearly moving in the right direction, but some of the colours are swapped. Need to think about how that could be...
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

That's why I suggest you try Tetris at the same time, as it happened to me when I implemented it in MAME that when I made the colours match in PMODE3, some were inverted in Semigraphics mode, as if they have the phases inverted between modes.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I'm getting happier with the PAL behaviour.

I'm still not quite sure how in Pere's testcard, one of the blues edges purple and one of the greens goes brown. You can get the effect by nudging the "hue" up to 4 or 5, but not sure why that would be required. Unless maybe the network of components around the LM1889 isn't so perfect.

See what you think - I've tried to set some approximately nice default filters and brightness/contrast levels.

Edit: actually, these settings seem to be almost perfect in PAL:

brightness 50
contrast 65
colour 25
hue 10
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Working towards a release now - there are snapshots in the usual place. The release won't have any of the fancy tuning as the point of that was to find some settings that worked.

The new code replaces "-ccr simulated" - the old NTSC-only composite renderer is still available as "-ccr partial".

By default the "colour killer" is enabled: TVs are supposed to disable decoding colour if they didn't see a colourburst. So for PAL machines, black & white modes won't have colour. You can turn the colour killer off with "-no-vo-colour-killer" - certainly not all displays did this (not actually sure I remember ever having one that did...)

Oh, it'll still default to "s-video" mode using palette based colour until you switch the "input" to blue-red or red-blue (or press Control+A). Also, the "other phase" selection that flips the colours in NTSC flips the vswitch in PAL which can help pick the right mode for games like Donut Dilemma.

Still to do:
  • Selectable that you can still cycle through NTSC artefact colours on PAL machines for convenience
  • Add more of the colour system controls to the "TV Controls" dialog
  • More menu options (especially for macs that don't have a "TV Controls" dialog)
Taking a while, but it's getting there!