XRoar 1.1 released

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

XRoar 1.1 released

Post by sixxie »

https://www.6809.org.uk/xroar/

Not such a big release:
  • Better auto-typing, and a -load-text command (which I appear to have missed from the docs, so that's something to include in the first bugfix).
  • Alice support, which involved some underlying keyboard map stuff as the machine itself is AZERTY.
  • Relatedly, read-only K7 cassette image support (lots of Alice software seems to be in this CAS-esque format.
  • T1 font fixes, thanks to Tim Lindners digital captures making some of the glyphs more obvious.
  • Tweaks a bunch of stuff around IDE drives which is of more interest to CoCo 3 types.
  • Similarly, CoCo 3s can have 1M or 2M RAM.
robcfg

Re: XRoar 1.1 released

Post by robcfg »

Excellent!

I really appreciate having Alice support. Do you emulate the original Alice, or also the Alice 32 and 90? The latter have a different video chip altogether.

Thanks a lot for your great work!
.mad.

Post by .mad. »

What a nice suprise!
will give this a good test tomorrow. :D

is it possible to add more options to command-line?.
i would like to change composite rendering settings via script (NONE, 2-bit LUT)

i know this is probably not even on your radar of things to do.
but i would really like to see an option to save a custom colour pallette.

thanks!
I am, you are, we are, they're not...
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

robcfg wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:34 pm I really appreciate having Alice support. Do you emulate the original Alice, or also the Alice 32 and 90? The latter have a different video chip altogether.
Just the Alice 4K :) The others would need more hardware support.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

.mad. wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:27 pm is it possible to add more options to command-line?.
i would like to change composite rendering settings via script (NONE, 2-bit LUT)
So "cross-colour renderer" can be selected with the "-ccr" option:

Code: Select all

$ xroar -ccr help
        none       no cross-colour
        simple     four colour palette
        5bit       5-bit lookup table
        simulated  simulated filtered analogue
The composite phase is treated along with RGB (coco3 only) as a specific "tv input", so you can select that with the "-tv-input" option:

Code: Select all

$ xroar -tv-input help
        cmp        Composite (no cross-colour)
        cmp-br     Composite (blue-red)
        cmp-rb     Composite (red-blue)
        rgb        RGB
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

By the way, I can launch a K7 file with the Run option on the menu, but if I try to load it with Cmd+L and type CLOAD or CLOADM, the emulator just does nothing.

I tried an Alice game I dumped (La chenille infernale) as CAS file and couldn't load it either.

Am I doing something wrong?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

robcfg wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:47 pm By the way, I can launch a K7 file with the Run option on the menu, but if I try to load it with Cmd+L and type CLOAD or CLOADM, the emulator just does nothing.

I tried an Alice game I dumped (La chenille infernale) as CAS file and couldn't load it either.

Am I doing something wrong?
Ah, you might need to "press play on tape".

The MC-10 and Alice don't have motor control. While I can account for that if you "run" something, just attaching a file to load it must necessarily start off "stopped". After typing CLOAD[M] and pressing enter, press play in the tape dialog (Linux) or select File -> Cassette -> Play from the menus (others).

Edit: this is in the Recent changes section of the manual :)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

That was it, thanks!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Ciaran,
the 32-bit Windows version does not work on 32-bit Windows XP, it throws up the following error:
Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
From reading around it appears that Win XP doesn't contain the "GetTickCount64" function (for example see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ickcount64).
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Alastair wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:01 pm Ciaran,
the 32-bit Windows version does not work on 32-bit Windows XP, it throws up the following error:
Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
From reading around it appears that Win XP doesn't contain the "GetTickCount64" function (for example see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ickcount64).
Interesting. Looks like this is the direct cause: Applications linked with winpthread can not be run on Windows XP

Sad, but it needs the pthreads support for the GDB interface.

I don't think trying to support XP is going to prey on my mind too much, but just this once maybe see if the 1.1.55 snapshot build in http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/xroar/ works for you! In case it does, it was built under MinGW with the options --disable-gdb-target --without-pthreads supplied to configure.