Dragon 64 NitrOS-9 - Beta testers needed for upcoming BASIC09/RUNB upgrade release

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
lcurtisboyle

Dragon 64 NitrOS-9 - Beta testers needed for upcoming BASIC09/RUNB upgrade release

Post by lcurtisboyle »

As part of the NitrOS-9/EOU project for the Coco 3, I have been working on optimizing / speeding up BASIC09 and RUNB. This is both for the 6809 and the 6309 versions. I just feature froze the current batch of updates (mainly focused on INTEGER and REAL basic math routines (addition, subtraction, multiply, divide, MOD, and some FOR/NEXT loops if the STEP <>1), and sent it to our EOU beta test group.
But, since these modifications are not Coco 3 (or even Coco) specific, they should also work on Dragon 64's running NitrOS-9 Level 1. Does anyone here use NitrOS-9 Level 1/BASIC09 on their Dragon's who would like to join the beta test group? If so, please respond here with your email address (or send an email to me at curtisboyle@sasktel.net if you don't want your email public).

6809 versions are only slightly faster (the original code was pretty optimized), but have seen 1-5% speed increases. 6309 has been up to 10-16% faster than previous BASIC09/6309, and RUNB (which never had been updated for the 6309 other than running in native mode) is up to 35% faster in some of these math functions than it was before.