Coco Talk Dragon Special episode

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
lcurtisboyle

Coco Talk Dragon Special episode

Post by lcurtisboyle »

We at the Coco Talk Show are planning on doing a big Dragon special either at the end of July or during August, and we would like to invite people here in the Dragon Facebook group to join in. We want a mix of people who had one back in the 1980's when they first came out, as well as those who have discovered the Dragon's much later as part of the retrocomputing hobby. We also want all levels of users; those who used it as a game machine, those who programmed software and/or designed hardware for it, those who purely run things on modern emulators like XRoar. For developers, if you have a modern piece of kit, or software, you can demo and promote it on the show as well.
For those interested, please email me at: curtisboyle@sasktel.net. We will have a group email going for suggestions, to figure out the exact date/time that will accommodate the most people (we can also play pre-recorded videos for those who can not make it to the live show), etc. (Some people don't use various social networks, so email is the one universal standard). Some people have already graciously agreed to spend some time with us for the show, and participating panelists can also trade stories and ask questions back and forth. Both Ciaran Anscomb (author of XRoar, Dunjunz & more) and Stewart Orchard (author of games like Balldozer, Revenge of the Alien Bongo Beast and the Return of the Beast playable demo) are amongst those; please contact me at the above email to join the show as well!
Bosco

Re: Coco Talk Dragon Special episode

Post by Bosco »

I think this is a great opportunity, especially as we haven't had a Cambridge meetup for two consecutive Summers. :)
lcurtisboyle

Post by lcurtisboyle »

We have most of our Zoom test calls done now for the show (Thanks everyone!) but still have 5 left to go. I have one tentatively scheduled for an evening this upcoming week (will verify tomorrow), but Steve and I should have some time starting around 5 PM UK time on Sunday, July 18 for a few hours, and around 10 PM UK time during the week. We would like to get these wrapped up this upcoming week if at all possible, so that we can concentrate on the format of the show, special segments, etc. after that. So, if the following people can please email me at curtisboyle@sasktel.net, or leave me a reply to this message, and let me know that dates/times work best for each of you:
Pere Serrat
Chris Poacher
Tony Jewell
Tormod Volden

(I am not even sure if all of you are on here, but I have sent emails earlier, and am beginning to suspect that they may getting redirected to junk mail so that people are not seeing them).

Thanks!
lcurtisboyle

Post by lcurtisboyle »

In honour of the 3 game developer guests that we will have on the DragonTalk! Special this Saturday, I have updated the Coco Games list site (http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/coco_game_list.html) to include all of their games that are out now:

Ciaran Anscomb: Dunjunz, Blockdown

Steve Bamford: FlagonBird

Stewart Orchard (take a deep breath for some of these titles): Balldozer, Revenge of the Alien Bongo Beast from the Crissy Crossy Lines Dimension (ROTABB for short), and Return of the Beast (ROTB).

Most of these have download links to the Coco versions on the Color Computer Archive, and Dragon versions can be found right here at http://worldofdragon.org

Feel free to check them out, and have any questions about them or their development ready for the DragonTalk show. (Stewart will also be our feature interview on the August 21st show, so more detailed questions for him should be saved for that show).
lcurtisboyle

Post by lcurtisboyle »

First of all, a big "Thank You!" to all who participated live on the show or showed up in chat! It was a big success, I think, although for the next DragonTalk I think we will shrink the guest list down a little bit so the show isn't quite so long. ;)

Also, a big thanks to Stewart Orchard for being a long-form interview guest this past August 21 episode, and to Ciaran Anscomb for guesting and helping with some interview questions and demo's of Steve's games!

For those of you who missed either or both of the episodes, links to them on YouTube are below (you can also get them in podcast form through normal podcatchers, or iTunes for the video versions):

The full 6 hour DragonTalk Special: https://youtu.be/NNDDh1ZLkYg

Episode 225 with Special Guest Stewart Orchard: https://youtu.be/FBY21XgZ5HI
lcurtisboyle

Post by lcurtisboyle »

A quick note: We are in the planning stages for DragonTalk2! There are some people who wanted to be on last time that we just didn't have room for, or weren't able to make it due to scheduling. The show will also have less guests, so it wont' be so long like the first one was.

There are two options for scheduling that we are thinking of:
November 27: Since this is during the Dragon meetup at Cambridge, this would depend on Cambridge having good internet connections where the meetup is being held. We could both get people to give their opinions on the meetup, what their favourite things/favourite people that they saw at it, and we could even organize some interviews to do live.
December 4: If the internet connectivity isn't stable enough to do interviews, etc. we can do the Special the following week, which will then be both the interviews/presentations like we did in the first DragonTalk, but also have some extra people on for a "Dragon Meetup 2021 Wrap-up" segment. They can share things they saw (take pictures, and even short videos!). This can include guests who are being interviewed as well as anyone else who was at the meetup.

One thing I will ask here: There are a few people who politely declined being on our first Special. For those that did, after having seen the first special, any chance that any of you have changed your minds and would like to be on the 2nd Special? :D

And for any of you helping organize the Cambridge meetup, please let me know as soon as possible if you think the internet / WiFi there would be up to doing a several hour show reliably. If it is an unsure thing, I would prefer to wait for the following week for a "Wrap-up" instead of having a choppy series of interviews. Thanks!