XRoar 0.36 released

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Re: XRoar 0.36 released

Post by sixxie »

pser1 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:09 am Today I have loaded the snapshot I save yesterday and then GDB refused to start the session (connection).
If I do start XRoar without the snapshot, then GDB starts with no issues, but as soon as I do load the snapshot
GDB doesn't accept any command :-(
Verified that loading a snapshot seems to kill off GDB for me too under Linux. I'll have a poke later.

Seems like the machine reinit that happens when you load a snapshot resets the GDB connection too, and then it's too soon after for it to re-bind to the port.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

ok, thanks for verifying that point, Ciaran.
I didn't go too far tracing code yesterday and knowing the end point I did arrive at, I will put a breakpoint there and let it run from the beginning.
cheers
pere
.mad.

Post by .mad. »

sixxie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm Is this using joystick emulation through keyboard?

play Shock Trooper or Buzzard Bait, and you'll find XRoar's behaviour better...
Yes, the Keyboard mode is a life saver and Mouse for true analog helps in some games.
Xroar's control is much better overall.

MAME definitely has it's downfalls in certain games, even with all fine tuning options.
just try to configure and play Doodle Bug. :P
I am, you are, we are, they're not...
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

pser1 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am ok, thanks for verifying that point, Ciaran.
I didn't go too far tracing code yesterday and knowing the end point I did arrive at, I will put a breakpoint there and let it run from the beginning.
New snapshot that hopefully fixes GDB connections - it does under Linux at least. Actually closing one listener probably helps before trying to create another one...

Though it occurs to me that what you really need is for the connection to persist, so that the new machine can be halted on startup and you can continue stepping. That's going to take a bit more redesign. And I wonder how well it would work - when the remote target is stopped, GDB seems to cache things like register state... it wouldn't get the new state immediately, as it wouldn't ask for it.

I suppose I could make it so that the first instruction step after loading a snapshot when stopped was a dummy that didn't actually do anything, but let GDB pull down register states.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

I have downloaded this version and have started it with GDB
Before letting GDB start, I have loaded the last snapshot and then GDB has shown this message

Code: Select all

Remote debugging using localhost:65520                                               
Ignoring packet error, continuing...                                                
 warning: unrecognized item "timeout" in "qSupported" response                        
 warning: Invalid remote reply: timeout
Don't know if this could help in any way ...
cheers
pere
Azerpy

Post by Azerpy »

Hello,
I have tried Xroar 0.36 with W10. It seems that the axis of my PC joystick are inverted.
Though it was correct with the former versions.
To jump with my lunar patrol, I have now to turn my stick left.
I tried this in the conf file but not sure it's good ?
joy joy0
joy-axis 0=physical:0,-1
joy-axis 1=physical:0,-0
joy-button 0=physical:0,0
The button is good, no effect on the axis.
Thanks for all.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Ciaran,
this is just a minor cosmetic issue that you may not wish to fix until a more pressing issue is discovered (should such a thing exist!) but the 32-bit Windows program has lost the Dragon icon. I think that the 0.35 family of XRoar was the last to have the icon.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Oh, interesting. I added a 256x256 icon for 0.36. It's definitely visible in the 64-bit build (when I checked, anyway), but maybe 32-bit Windows doesn't support it?
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I've checked the latest 32-bit Windows version of XRoar on 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and 10, and the icon shows up in both instances. Unfortunately I don't have a 64-bit version of XP, nor 32-bit versions of Windows more recent than XP, so I can't do a more thorough test. It could be that 32-bit Windows cannot support the icon, or - possibly more likely - that XP does not like the icon.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

@ciaran
Hello,
today I have seen and downloaded your last Xroar snapshot (0.36.1711)
I have started GDB at the same time and have seen that any value assigned to the special HD6309 CPU registers
is now nicely shown on screen, this helps a lot when debugging the soft I am programming for the new Dragon-MSX2+ module.
By the way, the assignement commands are not saved in the history on the screen, but they are re-callable via CTRL+P
I mean commands like
set $f=0x12
It is not that important, we can live without these old commands shown, just wanted to let you know.

Thanks a lot for keeping this unvaluable software up to date for us!!

cheers
pere