XRoar 0.36 released

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
pser1

Re: XRoar 0.36 released

Post by pser1 »

Hello Ciaran,
one more time bugging you with questions/problems
I have a bat file that starts XRoar to run the converted AGD games and it has worked flawlessly since the first day.
But today I decided to update the xroar.exe to the last version and immediately the 'old' command failed:

Code: Select all

rem first command (commented) worked with old xroar versions
rem xroar -machine dragon64 -machine-cpu 6809 -extbas d64_1.rom -altbas d64_2.rom -machine-cart dragondos -cart-rom ddos.rom -load %1.VDK -type RUN"SETAGD.BAS\n -force-crc-match -disk-write-back -joy-left 0,0:1:0 -kbd-translate
rem  ... but fails on last version. With the change I have added, it just shows the command and the cursor past it, but waits for the user to press ENTER
xroar -machine dragon64 -machine-cpu 6809 -extbas d64_1.rom -altbas d64_2.rom -machine-cart dragondos -cart-rom ddos.rom -load %1.VDK -type RUN\"SETAGD.BAS\n -force-crc-match -disk-write-back -joy-left 0,0:1:0 -kbd-translate
Any hint/idea to ensure the Intro is recognized by xroar?
The opening double quote requires the \ sign but the final Enter (\n) is not recognized, just seems to act as a command end but not as an Enter
Thanks in advance
pere
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Oh, try \r instead - \n will insert character 10 which isn't the Dragon's "Enter" key...
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Ciaran,
just tested \r and works perfectly.
Thanks a lot!
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

I just wanted to let people know that using \" and \r works flawlessly on any XRoar versions!
Verified with the old one I was using for AGD converted games and the very last one that Ciaran had published.
cheers
pere
geirhovland

Post by geirhovland »

XRoar 0.36 works on a Raspberry Pi 4 with Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop. Before compiling from source, I just had to do the following:

sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module

Otherwise, just follow the instructions for compiling from source for Debian Linux.

The audio is ok with the parameter -ao-rate 24000

This almost feel like using a real Dragon again :D There is a connection from the Raspberry Pi back to the British computers of the 80s, see for example:

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/europ ... -the-flan/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSnaxD2HSdc

PS: This is now what I want for Christmas: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-400/ It has the computer inside the keyboard, just like the Dragon.

geirhovland

Post by geirhovland »

Got the new "Dragon Raspi-400" today (computer in the keyboard): Image

I have also made a null-modem cable (USB -> DSUB9 -> DIN7) to connect the raspi-400 and the real Dragon 64 to exchange data and files.

geirhovland

Post by geirhovland »

Hi Ciaran,

with Xroar 0.36 and DRAGONDOS 1.0 I get expected results when formatting DMK disks:

DSKINIT 1,1,40
DSKINIT 1,2,40
DSKINIT 1,2,80

All of these result in disks which look ok. I just insert a random DMK disk to start with, for example FEdit.dmk available on this site.

With DSKINIT 1,1,80 however, I get:
DIR
175104 FREE BYTES

Shouldn't the number of free bytes here be the same as with 40 cylinders and 2 sides? That number is:
359424 FREE BYTES

175104 is the same number as with 40 cylinders and 1 sided disks.

Cheers,
Geir
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Sounds like one of the DragonDOS bugs... I'd recommend either a bug patched DragonDOS version, or at least SuperDOS E6 / DOSplus 4.9.
geirhovland

Post by geirhovland »

Thanks, with sdose6.rom found here: https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/R ... ragon/DOS/
DSKINIT 1,1,80 gives the expected 359424 FREE BYTES

PS: Could not find SuperDOS E6 in the worldofdragon.org archive (Grosvenor Software)