Dragon "mystery" ;-) (totally lame question, really)

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Vato

Dragon "mystery" ;-) (totally lame question, really)

Post by Vato »

Is it only me that have "always" wondered why the label on virtually every single Dragon 32 case have a "bubble" right between the letter "N" and the number "3"? In some cases it seems to lean towards the "3" rather than being between them.

I know, a totally useless and meaningless question, but I just wonder why!

;-)

Vato
Tom
munkeyboy

Re: Dragon "mystery" ;-) (totally lame question, really)

Post by munkeyboy »

The case is injection moulded, this process leaves a 'sprue' or 'plastic tail' where the plastic is injected into the mould.
On the top case it is under the Dragon sticker and for the lower case it is under the Serial number sticker.
These are both central points on the moulds to provide even spread of plastic during injection. It is also probably why the stickers are in these locations, so as to hide the sprue marks.
When the cases are set the sprue's are removed, but this leaves a raised area of rough plastic that prevents the adhesive on the sticker from working, leaving a bubble.
The reason that the lower case sticker doesn't seem to bubble is due to the fact that it is just paper and more readily conforms to the uneven surface, but the Dragon sticker is plastic coated and therefore more rigid.
Another possible factor could be contamination from grease or oil on hands or tools during the sprue removal.

Gareth