Dragon-compatible CoCo games by Inufuto

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
robcfg

Dragon-compatible CoCo games by Inufuto

Post by robcfg »

A friend of mine pointed me to the web page of Inufuto, who is a person that creates small games for multiple platforms.

I'm quite happy to see the CoCo, CoCo3 and even then MC-10 among those platforms, so I tried them and they work well on the Dragon too (not if you have a disk controller).

Inufuto has just released Cracky, which I think it will delight Chuckie Egg fans out there :mrgreen:

The cherry on top is that the source code is included!

http://inufuto.web.fc2.com/8bit/

We need these games archived!

Cheers,
Rob
pser1

Re: Dragon-compatible CoCo games by Inufuto

Post by pser1 »

Hi, Robert
our friend Kees van Oss has told me about this web too.
I have found 13 games ready to work on the CoCo2
I plan to convert them for our Dragons.
The format is a .cas file that after being converted to .bin will need a disassembler in order to get an .asm file
Looking for the ROM calls and keyboard use will help converting them for our beasts.
I have not a lot of free time, but hope to start with these games once I have finished the conversion of a pack of AGD games for the CoCo-Dragon computers
cheers!
pere
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

As I mentioned, the source code is included, so no need to disassemble them unless you just want to patch the keyboard handling and nothing else.

Keep up the good work!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

robcfg wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:22 am As I mentioned, the source code is included, so no need to disassemble them unless you just want to patch the keyboard handling and nothing else.
Keep up the good work!
Hi, Robert
the source code is included in 4 of the 13 games he is sharing and this code is written in C
For the case CoCo to Dragon conversion, the use of F9DASM will be enough to find out the ROM calls, I hope!
cheers
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi,
by now I have the 13 games in CoCo binary files with just one header and one data block.
These files can be loaded into the CoCo and into a Dragon using XRoar
Unfortunately, the keyboard strokes are the CoCo ones, so need to be patched, otherwise
playing on the Dragon would be too awful. So F9DASM mandatory to find out the routine that
deals whith the keyboard. Hopefully the same for all games ...
The game conflicts with the DOS if active, so they must be called after executing some kind of AntiDos ...
The games I have tried are very simple, they look like compiled Basic games, probably due to the
fact that they have been converted using a C toolchain, not native 6809 assembler code
cheers!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi,
I have these 13 games already modified to work on the Dragon.
As they put the graphics as low as possible, that makes the DOS crash, so
I have aded the DosMate and that way they can be played from disk without issues.
Have tried all of them and do work well.

Just a question ...
What would be better, have a separate VDK file for each game?
Or maybe have them together as a pack in a single VDK?
cheers!
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

You’re a superstar, Pere!

I’d have them as separate VDK files for archiving and linking to the wiki pages.

You wouldn’t need to maintain the single image every time a new game is released either.

Thanks a lot and keep up the great work!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

robcfg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:48 am You’re a superstar, Pere!
I’d have them as separate VDK files for archiving and linking to the wiki pages.
You wouldn’t need to maintain the single image every time a new game is released either.
Thanks a lot and keep up the great work!
Hi Robert,
thx for your kind words!
I was willing to separate each game on a VDK as I have done with all of the games I have converted (Infocom, AGD, ...)
In fact the 13 games with a basic loader for each one don't fit in a single 160Kb disk

By the way, I saw that these CoCo games are using the standard 'Spectrum' keys, say IJKM that are too complicated,
at least to me :-(
So, I will change the keystrokes to the typical QAOP we use to find in Dragon-CoCo games.
Must say that the decoder in these games also accepts the four cursor keys!

Once done, I will upload these games in DSK and VDK for both kind of computers ...
cheers!
pser1

Post by pser1 »

you will find these Inufuto games in individual virtual files in the Upload Section
I have uploaded there these games in CoCo and Dragon versions both with short and long names
There are two screenshots for each game
cheers!
pere
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Thank you very much, Pere!