Dragon demos for download?

Looking for a Dragon or CoCo game not already in the archive - Then request it here and hopefully it will either be uploaded to the archive or another member can upload it to this forum.
unumlapis

Dragon demos for download?

Post by unumlapis »

I'm looking for Dragon demos to run on D32/D64 to be shown on a retro event here in South Sweden next month; any suggestion of some nice demos that I could download for this event? Also, if there are some recommendation of games which would show off the Dragon at it best :o
dlinsley

Re: Dragon demos for download?

Post by dlinsley »

I wrote a (bad) demo for the Osset '92 show, with the apt name "The Osset 92 Demo". I had nothing on Sweden's own The CareBears (TCB) who were my favorite demo group on the Atari ST. Loved rewatching the So What demo back in the day.

I'll try and get it ripped to VDK in the next week to two, unless anyone else bought a copy from the NDUG Public Domain library back in the day?
acsi

Post by acsi »

unumlapis

Post by unumlapis »

Haha! Go kitty Go! Well, the event that I'm attending to is GubbData which is primary for old C64 and Amiga scene but they've also now started to include other vintage as well. The initial thought of trying to find som vintage demonstration program was just to have something spinning on a system. First mission currently is to get a system work proper, so still in progress on this step and I'm been totally of from the Dragon Scene for the last 30+ years.

Ultimate would to have a proper demo with some graphics, audio and scroll text - meaning classic demo for the eighties :mrgreen: But, it's far from being there and coding skills lacks big time for this. But, if anyone are into pull of a demo to submit to the competition on remote base, it could be a fun activity.

Then the next event that I'm might attend to in August is the bigger event Datastorm in Gothenburg.

I'm sure that we can get into the same demo category as the VIC-20 :lol:
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Simon Jonassen's Tandy Assembly coco demo is here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5637&p=16150

A quick bin2cas and you get the attached - as he says, don't even bother trying this on a Dragon 64. TBH it's not ideal on a 32 either: the music timings are aimed at NTSC machines (presumably because it was going to be shown in a country where PAL machines would be thin on the ground)

Not sure about the beep beep beep partway into the intro...
Attachments
ta17.zip
(42.69 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
unumlapis

Post by unumlapis »

Totally awesome demo! This really looks like a true scene demo to be honest. Wondering how much one can tweak out of these old system, but seeing some of the demos for the C64, I got to say that some of the stuff being coded today is really mind blowing.But, that's the thing, looking at these vintage system with today's eyes and trying to apply a fresh view on how things can be done.

Thanks for sharing!
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo01.png
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo01.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 19568 times
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo02.png
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo02.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 19568 times
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo03.png
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo03.png (19.74 KiB) Viewed 19568 times
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo04.png
TandyAssemblyCocoDemo04.png (21.1 KiB) Viewed 19568 times
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

It's pretty neat... Sure Simon can chime in himself, but it's a good show of how much you can do while still using most of the CPU for music playback!

Which is the main problem with demos on the Dragon - demos aren't much cop without music, and as soon as you're playing music there's not much time for anything else.

CoCo3 users get timers triggering faster interrupts and reliable double speed mode so you can do a lot more with them, but as the CoCo 3 wasn't released in most countries I think that's cheating ;)
unumlapis

Post by unumlapis »

Assuming that this demo is running in standard mode so double speed mode would then help out but also understand that it's not reliable on all system. But, the music does a lot and I'm highly impressed how good it sounds compared to what one is used to in games.
britelite

Post by britelite »

Damn, that Tandy Assembly demo is really nice. Been working on some demo effects for the Dragon32, still trying to figure out the best methods of optimizations on the 6809. And after seeing that demo, I'm not too sure I'm ready to release the stuff I've already made :D
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I think that showing your stuff would be nice, as you can get a lot of nice feedback on it and how to make it better. ;)