Gordon Bennet - Quickbeam

Looking for a Dragon or CoCo game not already in the archive - Then request it here and hopefully it will either be uploaded to the archive or another member can upload it to this forum.
admin
Site Admin

Gordon Bennet - Quickbeam

Post by admin »

Having taken the attached WAV direct from original cassette - having issues getting it to load into XROAR or convert to a CAS.

WAV file seems to be good quality, but the loader is a custom one and may have some interesting features !

Anybody fancy a challenge?
Attachments
GordonBennet(QuickBeam).zip
(16.5 MiB) Downloaded 389 times
Simon Hardy
robcfg

Re: Gordon Bennet - Quickbeam

Post by robcfg »

I'm taking a look.

Doesn't seem to be anything special, but there were some errors at the beginning of the tape.

Will tell you once I complete my analysis.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool - I have a "fixed" version of the old file with some added headers so it loads nicely - but the content is different which leads me to suspect that the old one "CASbyPDB" was hacked into a more standard loader.

The old "CASbyPDB" one has two files with headers and the loading scheme is slightly different with a White/Black mode.

The original I have taken the WAV from has a loader and then one or more headerless blocks and also what looks like garbage at the end. This one seems to use a Green/Black screen mode but I think the screen mode is linked to something like headers on the tape.
Simon Hardy
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

The only weird thing I found so far is that the DATA blocks are marked as END blocks.

On my side there are only 5 blocks remaining with errors.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

And finally I managed to get a working wav file!

The program has a standard loader, then lots of END blocks with an occasional DATA block here and there.

I tried to create a CAS file, but fails to load. Most probably due to a suspicious 3 seconds gap before the last group of blocks at the end of the tape.

I'll try to fill the gap with pilot bytes and see if it works.

Meanwhile, feel free to play the game with the attached wav file. Be warned! It's much more difficult than Manic Miner...

Cheers,
Rob
Attachments
GordonBennet.wav.zip
Play at your own risk! :D
(88.3 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Heh, managed to conver it to a CAS file!

The 3 sec gap was there to allow some routine to be initialized, and there's also two block at the end of the tape which XRoar misses but are needed to load the game properly.

Enjoy!
Attachments
GordonBennet.cas.zip
(15.15 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi Roberto Carlos,
great job!
thanks for sharing both files.
And you're right, that one is damn difficult, it looks like Jet Set Willy (to me), at least the first stage ...

cheers
pere
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Pere, thanks for your kind words!

I'm attaching a fixed version of the wav file because there was a missing pulse. It really doesn't affect the game load, but I like to do things right.

Cheers,
Rob
Attachments
GordonBennet.wav.zip
Fixed missing pulse
(88.31 KiB) Downloaded 386 times