Chess on the Dragon

Looking for a Dragon or CoCo game not already in the archive - Then request it here and hopefully it will either be uploaded to the archive or another member can upload it to this forum.
Gareth_O'Flaherty

Chess on the Dragon

Post by Gareth_O'Flaherty »

Does anyone have any recommendations for Chess on the Dragon? I want to give the old brain cells an exercise with the game of kings. Thanks.
Got my first Dragon 32 in 1983 (where does the time go??).
Alastair

Re: Chess on the Dragon

Post by Alastair »

The archive contains the following three chess programs. I'm such an inept chess player that I cannot give any recommendation, but it shouldn't be too onerous to try them all.

Dragon Data - Cyrus Chess (cas/wav/ROM)
J. Morrison Micros - Chess (cas only. Manual available.)
Oasis Software - Dragon Chess (cas/wav. Manual available.)
Gareth_O'Flaherty

Thanks, Alastair! I'll have a look at these tonight. TBH, given my own level in chess, the more basic the game, the better :D
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I am (and was) basically awful, but ISTR not losing every game to the J Morrison's version on sufficiently low level.

Cyrus Chess is pretty hard (again, according to my dim memory). The user interface is much better though.

No idea about the other one.
Gareth_O'Flaherty

Thanks for the reply Sixxie.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Hello,

Yes, based on my memory of articles published in the mid-80's by dedicated French magazines, "Cyrus Chess" was considered a fairly good piece of programming, though pretty slow at the more advanced levels. But I assume that was basically due to the hardware limitations (i.e. CPU speed and memory), especially when compared with dedicated chess systems (such as "Chess Challenger" or "Mephisto", which kind of ruled at the time) or high level software ("Sargon").
Gareth_O'Flaherty

Thanks, snarkhunter. I've tried out all three Chess games from the Archive, and Cyrus Chess is definitely the most professional of them all in terms of playing style.
Gareth.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I have recently been doing some experiments with my VIC 20. I have used it to play Sargon II Chess versus a Saitek Mephisto. Sargon II beat the Mephisto at the highest level, while only on level 1 itself. I should add, that I have never beaten Sargon II either; not that I'm a very good Chess player really.

Anyway, my next experiment will be to use the VIC 20/Sargon II to Challenge the Dragon 32 with Cyrus Chess loaded up.

Is anybody interested in this experiment? I shall be posting my findings in VIC 20 land anyway, but if people are interested I can also post them here.

I am expecting either a stalemate or the Dragon to win, even though Sargon II is quite a piece of work in its own right.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I haven't played chess since many years now, but I used to, so please share the result of the experiment here too!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

I certainly will. I might not get to it today now, but I will hopefully have time tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it. :ugeek: