Perilous Pit by Blaby

Looking for a Dragon or CoCo game not already in the archive - Then request it here and hopefully it will either be uploaded to the archive or another member can upload it to this forum.
daelectron

Perilous Pit by Blaby

Post by daelectron »

This seems to be a reasonably strong .wav file of the cassette Perilous Pit by Blaby. It works fine on my Dragon 32. Unfortunately it does not seem to work on xRoar. What am I missing?

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/Perilous_Pit.zip

CLOADM (ENTER)

to load.

I have taken a .wav of each side of the cassette just in case. I get an ?OM error at line 255. But listing 255 gives nothing.
robcfg

Re: Perilous Pit by Blaby

Post by robcfg »

I get an "I/o Error in 255", which is that XRoar cannot recognize some bits right and it fails when loading.

I'll try to check it this weekend along with your Emperor Must Die wav files.

Keep these dumps coming! ;)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Ditto "IO error" (input/output) here rather than "OM error" (out of memory).
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

This one was easy to recover. The entire game is written in BASIC, and compiled with SPRINT.
Attachments
PPIT.zip
(81.2 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

That was fast!

Great work! ;)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

robcfg wrote:That was fast!

Great work! ;)
It certainly was, it looks like I missed the boat with my offering but I did eventually succeed in getting it to load.

I got it to load in XRoar with the "-no-tape-fast" option so it is likely that something in the recording was tripping XRoar up in fast tape mode. Combined with the "-tape-rewrite" option I've managed to produce both a wave file and a .CAS file that work in XRoar in normal mode.

DaElectron, for future problem tapes you may find the following XRoar options useful:

-no-tape-fast (disables tape acceleration)
-tape-pad (enables tape padding - though not useful in this case)
-tape-rewrite (enables the rewriting of everything read from an input tape to an output tape)

For example, to create the new "Perilous Pit" tape images I started XRoar from the command line with:
xroar -no-tape-fast -tape-rewrite
used Ctrl+L to select "Perilous_Pit_Side_A.wav", Ctrl+W and typed in "Perilous_Pit.wav" (or "Perilous_Pit.cas" - the extension is important), then CLOADMed the game in the normal manner (at this point you can hold down the F12 key to speed things up). After the game finished loading I quit XRoar so as to prevent anything else being written to the output file.
Attachments
Perilous_Pit.zip
(79.95 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
samplefiend

Post by samplefiend »

Many thanks for uploading this game! I've been looking for a working file for years and I've never seen a copy on ebay either. I used to love this game for some reason back in the day although it got a terrible review from Dragon User. :-)

Cheers,

Craig