3D Boxes and Hardware

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
unumlapis

3D Boxes and Hardware

Post by unumlapis »

Had the fun of spending this weekend at the Gubbdata event in Lund, Sweden and among other I was having a quick chat with some of the danish participants who approached me to ask if he could take photos of the original Commodore 1084S box that I have so that he could make 3D images. Got to say that it looks like nice and it might be a nice trick to use also here at Dragon Archive? Take a look of the images that they've created so far at Retro-Commodore.eu.
unumlapis

Re: 3D Boxes and Hardware

Post by unumlapis »

Well, came around to play around with 3d objects, so just to be able to test it I've setup a quick content demo here. Think this is quite cool way of being able to view various cases. Let me know what you think :D
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Very cool!

Might also be a nice way to examine archived PCBs? I'm imagining just the board in 3D not the individual components. :)
unumlapis

Post by unumlapis »

Yes, I was thinking about doing the same thing with boards as well, but it won't look as natural as it does with a box. But, to work the image would be taken against white background including that the browser window background would be set to white as well. Then I think it could look kind of alright. Remember, the above image contains of 6 photos which the script renders to a 3d object and the baseline dimension has been set to 1024 pixels. So I could of course increase it to what ever depending on the original. But, since I used my Galaxy S7 with poor lightning I think the above looks kind of alright. But, I'll give it a try with some small board as well to see how it could look like.
unumlapis

Post by unumlapis »

Here is the Dragon 32 "family box" which is a quick test as well to see how it works out when aligning the images and to get it to work. It's impossible with big boxes to get them to be pixel by pixel in size so one needs to tweak a little bit to get it to work.