Dragon Meetup 2020 is go!

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
tjewell

Dragon Meetup 2020 is go!

Post by tjewell »

Hi all!

I'm sure many of you have already spotted the announcements on Facebook, but for those who haven't - the Dragon 2020 Meetup is go! It's a whole weekend of fun this year, on the 4th and 5th of July at the usual venue of the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge. This year we're going to focus on all the fantastic software that's been developed for the Dragon over the years - and have some great new (and old!) hardware to show off too. More details can be found here:

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... -5th-2020/

Hope to see you all there!
Tony.

[edit - the date is correct now :) ]
Last edited by tjewell on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
linville

Re: Dragon Meetup 2020 is go!

Post by linville »

My calendar says 6 July is a Monday. Should this be July 4-5 instead?
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

It's on! :mrgreen:
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

linville wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 pm My calendar says 6 July is a Monday. Should this be July 4-5 instead?
Yup, just fat fingers. Date is correct now! Apologies!
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Hi Tony.

Sounds great! :D

So this year does everyone need to register/pay in advance if they're attending?
unumlapis

Post by unumlapis »

Good stuff Tony and looking forward to this years event. Any chance that it would be possible to have presentation related to Dragon, that is if the venue has the possibility for break-out rooms and that I'm not the only one who would like to see such activities? Would be really nice to have brief presentations around ongoing hardware and software development, tips and tricks sessions, crash course in basic and assembler, presentations where we didn't expect to see the Dragons, etc?
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Oops, sorry been a bit distracted and missed your messages!

@bosco - Presuming it goes ahead (grr coronavirus), there's no need to book/pay in advance, you can just turn up on the day.

@unumlapis - The problem with presentations and making it more of a conference format, is that it takes a lot more organising. Plus, we only have one classroom at the museum - and we're sharing the space with the general public. This is why I call it a 'meetup' rather than a 'conference' or anything grander - keeping it informal is easier. If we want privacy and a proper space for talks, we might also have to pay for the room (at the moment, it's free). I'm not sure I'd want to organise it either (I really don't have time), so I'd be looking for volunteers. Also, not sure how many of us have the time to create presentations. But if there's interest in moving to a more conference-like format (including people who want to present), please let me know!
unumlapis

Post by unumlapis »

Tony, based on the current situation with the lock down in UK and most of Europe what is the latest saying about the Meetup and is there a plan B maybe to make a virtual meetup?
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Sadly I have no more idea when the lockdown will end than anyone else. However, the only cost to running the event is my time, so I don't see any reason to cancel it just yet. July is still a way off. The Museum, understandably, is extremely keen to reopen too. If the government is allowing 'small gatherings of around 30 people' by July, I'll be very happy to run it!

As of yet, there's no Plan B - I don't think we need to put too much energy into that just yet. Let's see where we are at the start of June.

Hopefully see you all in July! And I hope the pubs are open again too :)

Tony.
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

With much sadness, I can't see this July's Meetup going ahead.

For me, a large part of this event is the social aspect. It's great to meet you all, to poke your machines, to go to the pub after with like minded people and spend the day and evening talking Dragons.

I don't want to cancel, I would much rather postpone until November when hopefully things are approaching normal again. If they're not, we can worry about that closer to the time.

A few people have suggested an online event on the 4th July. Work commitments mean I would struggle to organise it, but if someone else wants to take the baton, I'd happily get involved. Alternatively, we could use this time to finish our projects, write our software, and meet later in the year with even more to show.

Keep well everyone!
Tony