Autostart tape program?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Sdw

Autostart tape program?

Post by Sdw »

So, to load and start a binary (with exec address set) from cassette, I do:
CLOADM:EXEC

But I recall that the last time I had my Dragon32 out, I could do that with a single command, but I'm unable to find it!

It might be that I'm mixing it up with some other old computer loading from tape though, I do have a bunch of systems... :)
Alastair

Re: Autostart tape program?

Post by Alastair »

I am not aware of a single command that will explicitly load and execute a cassette based program but some (many?) commercial programs were written and saved in such a way that they autostarted when they were CLOADMed, perhaps it is those programs you are thinking of.
snarkhunter

Re: Autostart tape program?

Post by snarkhunter »

This is most likely a case of autorun program. I seem to remember autorun was achieved by saving code to be loaded in the lower memory page (first 1024 KB of Dragon's memory), overriding the EXEC vector. I also think Dragon User once published some source code to achieve a similar result.

The only other command that may autostart a program is BOOT, but that only works on a disk system (and provided the disk was created as a bootable one).