Hardware to load software onto D32

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
drygol

Hardware to load software onto D32

Post by drygol »

I've been looking for DragonMMC with no luck.
I am considering other projects such as CoCo SDC or DriveWire, however, I have no idea which to choose as I've never played with Dragon peripherals.
Could you guys be so kind and suggest some sort of convenient solution to load the software?

Cheers
Pete
linville

Re: Hardware to load software onto D32

Post by linville »

Do you have a cassette cable? And a digital audio player of some sort (e.g. a cell phone)?

Playback of a WAV representing Dragon/CoCo cassette-based software is one of the easiest (and very effective) ways of loading software on these old machines. With newer phones and the right cabling, you can even save typed-in programs as well -- the phone takes the place of the old cassette recorder!

Yes, it's a bit slow. But it is both cheap and effective!

John
drygol

Post by drygol »

Thanks for a hint. I've already checked it and I think I would rather like a more convenient and faster solution.
Price is not that important factor, I am just looking for a good and tested solution.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello,
I am afraid that most of us are on holidays and so no answers to your question.
I programmed the DOSPlus5.0 extended that enables the beautiful module CoCo-SDC to work flawlessly on the Dragon machines
so that you get access to drivewire and to any SDC card that contains individual files or virtual disks.
You will find info about the module here (is made and sold by Ed Snider aka Zippster)
https://thezippsterzone.com/2018/05/08/coco-sdc/
And you will get a lot of info about the Operating system here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5363
I think that on the Dragon facebook group you will find card images from Chris Poacher with lots of games on virtual files, to work with
out of the box and for free of course.
Besides, you can get a very nice program that shows the contents of the card and allows you to start any program, here http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/sea ... &cat=&cs=0
I hope this will be of help
cheers
pere

Ps I forgot to say that you will be able to use 'only' the programs created to work on D32.
There are some ports and conversions from other machines that will only work on a Dragon 64 or an expanded D32
drygol

Post by drygol »

@pser1, big thanks for your input.
I've ordered CoCo SDC as you suggested and I am successfully running games and other software without any issues.
This is exactly what I was looking for :D
pser1

Post by pser1 »

drygol wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am @pser1, big thanks for your input.
I've ordered CoCo SDC as you suggested and I am successfully running games and other software without any issues.
This is exactly what I was looking for :D
Really pleased to know it works well for you too!
cheers
pere