Subcategories for Games

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Subcategories for Games

Post by admin »

snarkhunter wrote:Ok, looks like I've been greatly improving today! I also created the "Simulation" category, then a "Platform" sub-category, with a definition retrieved from the Wiki entry (part of it).

Please note that whatever I've been doing, or will be doing, in the Dragon Wiki is there for you to add to/amend, should you ever feel it is inaccurate.

But there's still one thing I just couldn't figure out so far: how does one create a new entry for a missing game?!
Wow you have been busy....

To create new entries, go to the http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index.php?title=Games page and click on the publisher - If the publisher is not listed, then click on the Edit Tab and add then as [[publisher]] in the correct place in the list and save. Clicking on the link will now prompt you to create a new page (Create Tab) - simply save a blank page if you have nothing to write about the publisher.

Once in the Publisher screen, click on the Edit tab and use [[GameName]] and save. You can now click on the game name to create a new page. - I think there is a template called ABC that you can copy & paste to setup all the formatting and headers, if not copy & paste from an existing game.
Simon Hardy
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

admin wrote:Wow you have been busy....
Yes... but I might have been a bit too busy as well.

I tried to edit the list of publishers to re-list "Microvision" as "Micro Vision (Software)", which is how the company's name is listed on my copy of "Beanstalker". By doing so, I lost the link with the game (and I now understand I should have changed the game entry first), and resetting the company's name to its former value did not improve things. Stepping backwards from IE did not make it possible to recover the data.

So, first of all, I would like to apologize to whomever had created the entry for that game. I will be able to create a new one, but unfortunately not to provide the same presentation text there was before I messed up with it.

I will now attempt to create a new entry for that game, but it will be lacking most of the former content. Once again, I'm really sorry about making such a mistake.
Last edited by snarkhunter on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

... Sometimes, I feel like, the deeper I get into this, the less I understand it!

I created a "basic" page for "Beanstalker". After validating it, I discovered the description page was back!? :o

No idea why it worked this way. But I'm glad the data is now back.

[Edit]
There's still one thing that remains most confusing to me: I cannot understand the actual process of renaming anything and not losing the previous links. I've just been facing this issue while trying to correct "Microvision Software" into "MicroVision Software", and I had to restore/copy, then create new/paste the data, in order to get working links back. Now, I understand there must be some kind of orphan "Microvision Software" entry lying somewhere, but I don't have any idea where it is...
Last edited by snarkhunter on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I don't think anything is lost in a Wiki - unless an administrator permanently deletes something - so it should be possible to revert to an earlier version of the page.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll take a look and tidy it up...

Each page has a unique title, that is what you put in the [[ ]] brackets to create a new page.... If you want to rename something you can, there is an option somewhere that creates a new page and puts a forwarding link on the old page (to catch any references to the page you haven't found).

You can also look for orphaned pages - which is what I will do now..
Simon Hardy
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Added a few games to the "Platform" category. Would also have to enter the two "Software Projects" titles (i.e. "Manic Miner" & "Jet Set Willy"), based on the information from my original tapes. I should also be able to add a few more games in this category (such as "Hunchback" - only "The Bells" currently being listed).

Etc, etc.

Once you get used to the logic in Wiki page architecture, things become almost straighforward!

And do you think "Shock Trooper" should be included in the "Platform" category?

Ah! And I had completely forgotten about "Frankie". That was a nice game from the late days of the Dragon. Seem to remember it had lots of features (level editor?)...
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

I think I had already posted this link before (older forum), but I'd bet it will prove an invaluable information source for the games database.

[Edit]
Invaluable information about the games he contributed, definitely.
But my attempt at sending a mail to him failed. I don't have any idea when this interview was done, but he may have changed mail plenty of times in the meantime...
Too bad: I wanted to ask him for his permission to use the screenshots from the above link. :(

But at least we do have some accurate information about his games...
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

snarkhunter wrote:I think I had already posted this link before (older forum), but I'd bet it will prove an invaluable information source for the games database.

[Edit]
Invaluable information about the games he contributed, definitely.
But my attempt at sending a mail to him failed. I don't have any idea when this interview was done, but he may have changed mail plenty of times in the meantime...
Too bad: I wanted to ask him for his permission to use the screenshots from the above link. :(

But at least we do have some accurate information about his games...
We can always use XRoar or MESS to create screenshots, with the added benefit that they may have Dragon Data or Microdeal in the title, as you can see...
El_Diablero-01.png
El_Diablero-01.png (464 Bytes) Viewed 6270 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay - is there an easy key combination in Xroar that will save the current screen..... I know there is in MESS but I don't often use that...
Simon Hardy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

admin wrote:Okay - is there an easy key combination in Xroar that will save the current screen..... I know there is in MESS but I don't often use that...
In Windows you can use Alt+Print Screen to capture the screen, though you will then need to crop the image to remove the title bar and frame. I would be surprised if other operating systems have neither a built in screen capture feature nor screen capture software available.