I got the HxC SD Card Floppy Emulator today

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Vato

I got the HxC SD Card Floppy Emulator today

Post by Vato »

I got the HXC SD floppy emulator from Lotharek today, and it was worth every penny.
I just formatted the SD card, ran the PC software to convert the disk images, unplugged my floppy, plugged in the HxC, inserted the SD card, and voila! It's like having a harddisk on the Dragon.
So now I have Tormods uDW, Lothareks HxC, and both 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives that can be connected. Just waiting for Rolo to start making a new batch of his multicart, and I feel that my setup is complete. Well, maybe I should try to get my old Brother HR-5 Thermal Transfer printer working ;-)

I really have enjoyed the last couple of months, when I have been playing around with my Dragons. All those new, modern gadgets that people make for the old beast have made the experience so much better.

I thank you all for your efforts!
Tom
Stig

Re: I got the HxC SD Card Floppy Emulator today

Post by Stig »

Hi, congrats on getting your floppy emulator, I hope to purchase one in the near future. Caould you provide more info on getting a 3.5" drive working on the dragon ? I have a original doscart and a lafumat controller. Is there something specific I need to do to get a 3.5" floppy drive to work with these ?

Thanks for any help or tips

John
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hi John,
I have a Lafumat controller too and works flawlessly with 2 floppies 3,5" (capable of 1,44Mb)
Of course I just can use them at 720k, but accept formatting at 180k as well as 360k and 720k

I remember I had a lot of problems with 5,25" floppies 1,2Mb, so I finally gave up and used these small ones.
Clearly the 360k kind seem to work right, but I have no tested these ones.

Just have a ribbon connecting the controller to the disks. As they were not configurable, I had to modify
two wires (switching them) so that each unit has a different number assigned.
In case you get errors when sending a DIR command, the cap trimmer will most likely solve them.

And just a comment, I decided not to buy an HDC controller, it seemed to me very expensive and you must convert
all your files to their format.
I finally bought a CoCo-SDC board from Darren Atkinson. Great stuff!
It's true it is for CoCo, but by now, with his invaluable help (and routines), I can use the SDC-card with my Dragon64
to put there the VDK files I use for Drivewire (I mean header 256 bytes length) and it works like a charm.
I can create VDKs any size, load, save programs as with floppies ... all DOS commands work!
I have implemented some commands to mimic what I could do with any CoCo but all of them right now. Still working!
Besides, now I can flash with my Dragon the SDC banks, so no more dependency on having a CoCo to do that task!

cheers
pere
Stig

Post by Stig »

Thanks for the reply Pere.

That all sounds pretty easy. If I am just connecting one 3.5" drive (for now) can I just use my normal "unmodified" ribbon cable ?

I will definitely give this a try :)
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

You can, but it will be drive 2 unless you modify the cable or the drive.

This may cause programs that look always on drive 1 for their data not to work.

You can also modify a flat ribbon cable, or a PC floppy cable quite easily, check the diagram here.
Stig

Post by Stig »

Well I've been messing about with this for well over an hour now and I am at a loss.

I have a single 3.5" PC floppy drive connected to the dragon and using a straight (untwisted) ribbon cable.

I am getting CC and RF errors when trying to formate the disk and cannot find a sweet spot while adjusting the potentiometers on my dos controller.

A couple of times it completed the format and returned the OK message but when I then type the DIR command I get the IV error

Weird. Don't know what the problem is really
pser1

Post by pser1 »

HI,

I remember that the two pots don't help solving these two errors.
Only with the adjustable capacitor you will be able to find a zone that works properly.

I am attaching here two images.
One of the controller I am using daily in my working set, and another of another controller used when testing other Dragons

cheers
pere

Ps. You better download the images to have a look at the position of pots and trimmer
My standard set has this controller with two 3,5" floppies
Attachments
P1040222x.jpg
P1040222x.jpg (522.63 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
P1040221x.jpg
P1040221x.jpg (486.91 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
Stig

Post by Stig »

Thank you very much Pere !

That helped me to get it working ! I set the pots and capacitor to match that of your first picture and have now got it working :)

Much appreciated

John
Stig

Post by Stig »

OK I apologise for my ignorance. When I format the disks in the 3.5" drive I am getting 175104 bytes free. Can I format them to 720k and how do I go about doing that ? Thanks for your continued help :)

P.S. I am using Dos 4.1

John
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Assuming your drive number is 1, it's as easy as DSKINIT 1,2,80.

That tells DragonDOS to format drive 1 with 2 sides and 80 tracks, 720KB.