new member from Leeds, UK

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
iddod

new member from Leeds, UK

Post by iddod »

hi everyone,
i'm not sure of the protocol here, but most forums i'm a member of like new members to introduce themselves, so i figured i'd do that and see how friendly you all are :)
i've had my 32 for years but only really used it for Chuckie Egg, i dug it out again recently after watching a presentation by the Oliver Twins on their beginnings, they mentioned their first published game was a Dragon 32 type-in called Road Runner... i couldn't find a photo or video of the game anywhere, so i did a little homework, found out which magazine it was in and which issue (thank you archive.org) and dusted off my typing fingers... i had to build myself an A/V cable first cos although playing games on a TV is fine, i wanted to use a monitor if i was going to be typing and then checking the program... a couple of days (and a lot of spelling mistakes) later and i was playing the game, but what gripped me more was that i'd actually understood a lot of what i'd typed, learned stuff i didn't know and i really enjoyed the process... so my Dragon is now set up where my C64 used to be set up and it's staying there for the foreseeable future...
oh, and my first ever cartridge arrived this morning, so i plan on seeing what eprom options i have (i have a habit of building eprom carts for each computer and console i have... it's usually more trouble than it's worth, considering i have everdrives etc, but i enjoy the process)

anyway, that's me, play nice...
--
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq
Bosco

Re: new member from Leeds, UK

Post by Bosco »

Hi iddod.

Welcome to the forum. Always great to see new faces!

I've only been a member for little over a year but I can tell you the Dragon community here is very supportive and full of extremely talented people. :D
iddod

Post by iddod »

cheers Bosco,
it's nice to be welcomed..

i'm still at the bottom of the ladder as far as my Dragon abilities go, so i'm sure i'll be taking more than i give, at least to start with... but i'll probably chime in on any threads i think i can help with...

i already got the cartridge i mentioned to play a different game to the one it came with, it's a little rough, but it's functional and kept me busy... :D

--
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Welcome abord, iddod! I'm pretty confident you'll find plenty of most valuable stuff here to revive your memory...

And "Chuckie Egg" appears to be one of the most fondly remembered Dragon games ever... and I'd say it sure deserves to be.

I cannot remember any "Roadruner" game for the Dragon. To me, this name is more reminiscent of a great - though awfully difficult - C64 game.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay here.
iddod

Post by iddod »

i made a little video of it to show a friend the other week... so it seems sensible to post it here...
please excuse the quality of the image, CRTs and mobile phone cameras aren't the best of friends sometimes :D

(the type in listing was published in Computer & Video Games magazine, January 1984 issue... as most people do when typing in listings, i tinkered with the displayed text a little bit, but left the game intact)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpiRQc53cMY
--
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Thank you for the clarification. I must have played such a game, a long time ago, after getting my own Dragon and not yet having many commercial games to play with!

... But I'd say the original C64 game I had in mind is definitely not in the same league!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdt1OHPto-8
iddod

Post by iddod »

snarkhunter wrote:the original C64 game I had in mind is definitely not in the same league!
really? i can't see much of a difference myself... mebbe the green road, but that's about all ;)

(i think i might have that c64 road runner game on tape somewhere)
--
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq