Introducing: New Dragon lab-cartridge (version 1.0)

Hardware Hacking, Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

Today I want to show you something new: The first (as far as I know, at least ;) ) universal laboratory cartridge for Dragon/CoCo computers.
Probably most of us know the problem. You want to build some electronic device for the Dragon, because the cartridge port is easy to use, but how do you hook it up? The edge connector is not exactly user friendly or easy to access.
Before building the device, you have to solve some mechanical problems. How do you reliably connect the busses? Bothering with badly attached wires and cables? Even breadboards tend to become a bit unstable if the number of wires increases.
I believe, it's easier to solder the components right on a board or at least part of those. If more space is required one still can put some extra components on a separate board or simply solder a connector onto the lab-cart and plug in one or two extra boards.
installed lab-cart
installed lab-cart
lab-cart01.jpg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
I tried to come up with a somewhat flexible design: There are arrays of connected pads and special places for switches, display, jumpers, resistors or capacitors. Furthermore pads which directly lead to the edge connector. All the connections are printed on both sides of the PCB to make them easy to see. DIL-Sockets for ICs can be of the slim type or of the wide one, up to DIL-40.
lab-cart component side
lab-cart component side
lab-cart02.jpg (66.93 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Again, I made ten boards.

I hope, you like it!
Best regards,
Rolo
pser1

Re: Introducing: New Dragon lab-cartridge (version 1.0)

Post by pser1 »

hello Roland,
you don't rest,do you?
congratulations, this is a very, very good idea.
Now that I have the 80x24 video output, I need a RAM expansion to be able to work again as I did in the past with the Dragon+ expansion board.
I think that I am needing one (or maybe two) of these boards.
In my case, I will need to put this one in one slot of the Multi-Pack, so it seems to me that it will not be so stable as when put inside the expansion port due to the vertical position ...
Have you put a price to this new board?
regards
pere
devo

Post by devo »

I would like one please - have PM'd you.
Thanks
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

you don't rest,do you?
Just trying to do my share in keeping the plattform alive ;) There is plenty of gadgets for most of the retro computers. I didn't have the feeling that it was similar for the Dragon.
No frankly, I just want a few things for myself and I'm simply selling off the extra parts, that I don't need, to other people, who may be interested too.
:arrow: SALE-section of the forum.