ENCODER09

Hardware Hacking, Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats
pser1

ENCODER09

Post by pser1 »

Does anybody know how can one redirect the output of Encoder09?
I will like to send it to Disk instead of Tape.
I have tried with A"name", &A/options both from the Basic and from Encoder. Always goes to Tape
First tests were made with Encoder at &HE000 (ROM), but also have tried at &H6100 (RAM). Same result
The disk system works without problems, I load the assembler sources from Disk but I have not managed
to get the result right to the disk without assembling first to memory and then save it to Disk.
Any advice would greatly appreciated!

PD. By the way, does anybody know where could I find the manual for Encoder09?
snarkhunter

Re: ENCODER09

Post by snarkhunter »

Hello,

I never used "Encoder 09" (my personal choice and favourite was "Alldream" first, then "Diskdream"). I do have a ".rom" version, though (... must be from the Archive here), that comes with a kind of a summary of commands (but without any actual manual, sorry).

The summarised instructions I have state :

A = ASSEMBLE DIRECTLY TO TAPE/DISK

so I believe there should be some way of generating an output to disk.

Have you ever tried to provide a name for the output in the "1:name" form? (just asking...)

Best regards,
Lionel
Last edited by snarkhunter on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello Lionel,

I have too this document (approx. one page) from SJWoolham and another one three pages long with more details.
Anyway I have not been able to send anything to the disk unit.
Have tested: A"1:name", A"name"/disk and others I don't remember right now
All of them gave error or asked for confirmation that the tape be ready!
Thanks
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Sorry it did not work (but I wasn't expecting much, actually)...

By the way, were you trying to assemble from memory to disk, or from some source that was also the currently inserted disk? (I'm asking this because I've just remembered about Diskdream's "GET" directive, so there might be something similar with Encoder 09)

Kind regards,
Lionel
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Hello Lionel,

By now I simply assemble to memory and then save the compiled area to disk.
It is acceptable, but having seen that Encoder is able to compile right to a cassette it would be nice to do the same to disk.
The source resides in Disk but I load it into Basic memory before assembly.
I used Encoder09 a lot, but this was some 25 years ago. Today I just don't remember the exact procedure I used to get it into disk.
Anyway, I'm not in a hurry, so I will give a chance to DskDream and if it's able to send the output to a file in disk it will be the winner,
I mean that this would be added to the DOS in the EPROM of the Cartridge for my real DRAGON64, before testing in XRoar of course.

Best regards,
Pere

Pd
By the way, do you know if any of the Dragon's assemblers would accept and generate code for HD63B09 in 6309 native code ?
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

No, I'm afraid this is far beyond my little knowledge. But I'm pretty confident that you will get a proper reply about this very soon: There are some genuine experts here!

Lionel
pser1

Post by pser1 »

Thanks Lionel,

I am reading the Alldream Manual for general use and the Addendum DskDream for Dragon DOS . . .
But I am affraid that the disk i/o applies only to the source files (old or new), not the assembled one.

In the document you commented there are three commands with ? signs:
M = ??
S = ??
X = ??
The very first works: Mxxxx,yyyy/zzzz being xxxx address of first byte to move, yyyy las byte to transfer and zzzz new address for first byte
The second accepts two versions: S'TEXT_TO_FIND'@xxxx,yyyy being xxxx byte where the search will begin and yyyy the end byte to search
alternatively Sxx yy zz@xxxx,yyyy searches for the exact hexadecimal sequence xx yy zz
Finally X just removes the breakpoints from the breakpoint table

Kind regards
Pere
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

pser1 wrote:Anyway I have not been able to send anything to the disk unit.
Have tested: A"1:name", A"name"/disk and others I don't remember right now
All of them gave error or asked for confirmation that the tape be ready!
Thanks
I was just thinking about one thing...

Did you enter any extension for your file while attempting to save the compiler's output to disk? This is mandatory.
pser1

Post by pser1 »

I have tried:
A"W.BIN" A"1:W.BIN" A"W.BIN:1" these ones asked for the tape
as well as with directives like /D /DS /DSK these always got error: BAD COMMAND
I will try some more 'test' directives for maybe there is one that works . . . but I think that this is likely to be a desire!

Pere
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

pser1 wrote:I used Encoder09 a lot, but this was some 25 years ago. Today I just don't remember the exact procedure I used to get it into disk.
I assume there must be a disk version as well as a cart/cassette version. The archive's copy assembles only to cassette or memory.
pser1 wrote:By the way, do you know if any of the Dragon's assemblers would accept and generate code for HD63B09 in 6309 native code ?
None of the currently available Dragon assemblers support 6309 code.