NitrOS-9 v030209

Hardware Hacking, Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats
KenH

Re: NitrOS-9 v030209

Post by KenH »

Hi Pere,
These disks are based on my own compilation of the NitrOS9 Mercurial source done about a year ago.
Unfortunately, the current NitrOS9 source for the Dragon seems to create disks that aren't bootable (at least with my configuration).
My complete working NitrOS9 disk set (CoCo & Dragon, 30 megs) is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?5rtm5e4tdoyd114

To convert DSK to VDK I just added the 12 byte header to the dsk file.

Regarding the unusual disk size, the toolshed OS9 FORMAT tool creates compacted virtual disks, unless the -e command line switch is used to make a full sized image. Apparently I have created these disks without the -e option.

Actually, for XRoar you really want DMK disks since VDK is read-only on Xroar.
One way to convert VDK to DMK is using XRoar itself as I described here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4374&p=9225#p9225

Ken
pser1

Post by pser1 »

thank you very much Ken!
I added the header to the DSK files from that web page and didn't work on XRoar.
Then I tried one of them on a Dragon64 and the NitroOS-9 BOOT screen simply hangs and does nothing more.
Then I have booted with an OS-9 L1 and have had no problems to access all the directories of the 'not bootable' disc I had put on /d1, so clearly is a boot or defs problem.
By the way, I always use VDK files and DragonDOS does update them without problems.
I think there was a problem with XRoar some time ago, but Ciaran solved it and now it creates a backup copy of the loaded disc and updates the image when you close Xroar or load another disc image.
I hope that OS-9 and NitrOS-9 will be doing the very same with the VDK files . . .
best regards
pere
KenH

Post by KenH »

tormod has recently fixed the errors in the Dragon NitrOS9 builds.
The D64 dsk images here http://www.nitros9.org/latest/ should now work fine.
XRoar needs a JVC or VDK header to properly recognize these disks (except the 180k disks).
Here is a 360k NitrOS9 vdk disk that should boot fine also under XRoar (and of course on a real Dragon).
Attachments
nos96809l1v030209d64_40d_1_COHR.vdk
NitrOS9 3.2.9 DragonDos Boot Disk (51 columns)
(360.01 KiB) Downloaded 267 times